The effects of a structured communication tool in patients with medically unexplained physical symptoms: a cluster randomized trial 2023 Abrahamsen

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Oct 20, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Background
    Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms (MUPS) are prevalent among primary care patients and frequently lead to diminished quality of life, increased healthcare costs, and decreased work participation. We aimed to examine the effects of a work-focused structured communication tool based on cognitive-behavioral therapy in patients with MUPS.

Methods
    In a Norwegian two-arm cluster randomized trial, the effectiveness of the structured communication tool Individual Challenge Inventory Tool (ICIT) was compared to usual care for patients with MUPS using a two-arm cluster randomized design. Enrollment period was between March 7 and April 1, 2022. Ten groups (clusters) of 103 General Practitioners (GPs) were randomized to provide the ICIT or usual care for 11 weeks. Patients received two or more sessions with their GP, and outcomes were assessed individually. Primary outcome was patient-reported change in function, symptoms, and quality of life measured by the Patient Global Impression of Change (PGIC). Secondary outcomes included sick leave, work-related self-efficacy (RTW-SE), health-related quality of life (RAND-36), and patient experiences with consultants (PEQ). The trial was registered on ClinicalTrials.gov (NCT05128019).

Findings
    A total of 541 patients with MUPS were enrolled in the study. In the intervention group 76% (n = 223) showed a significant overall improvement in function, symptoms, and quality of life as measured by the PGIC, compared to 38% (n = 236) in the usual care group (mean difference −0.8 ([95% CI −1.0 to −0.6]; p < 0.0001). At 11 weeks, the intervention group had a 27-percentage point decrease in sick leave (from 52.0 to 25.2), compared to 4-percentage point decrease (from 49.7 to 45.7) in the usual care group. Furthermore, compared to usual care, the intervention group reported significant improvements in work-related self-efficacy, health-related quality of life, and greater satisfaction with the communication during the consultations. No adverse events were reported.

Interpretation
    The implementation of the structured communication tool ICIT in primary care significantly improved patient outcomes and reduced sick leave among patients with MUPS.

Open access, https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(23)00439-X/fulltext#

Hutan and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From Methods.

Participants in the study were selected by their GP if they were aged 18 years or older and had experienced one or more of 23 physical complaints listed in the "Robbins list" for at least three months14 (Table 1). This selection procedure aligns with previous research.3 Additionally, participants had to meet the following criteria: (1) functional impairment with sick leave constantly or on and off over a long period of time, and/or (2) withdrawal or avoidance from social activities due to MUPS, (3) gone through adequate medical assessment with no explanatory pathology, and (4) symptom duration of at least three consecutive months to exclude transient ailments.

Table 1
    1. Back pain
    2. Joint pain
    3. Extremity pain
    4. Headaches
    5. Weakness
    6. Fatigue
    7. Sleep disturbance
    8. Difficulty concentrating
    9. Loss of appetite
    10. Weight change
    11. Restlessness
    12. Thoughts slower
    13. Chest pain
    14. Shortness of breath
    15. Palpitations
    16. Dizziness
    17. Lump in throat
    18. Numbness
    19. Nausea
    20. Loose bowels
    21. Gas or bloating
    22. Constipation
    23. Abdominal pain

Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  3. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This study is getting popular in Norway. I've seen it mentioned several times, as for instance from today in this article written by the University of Oslo.

Ny studie gir håp for pasienter med medisinsk uforklarlige plager og symptomer
    google translation: New study offers hope for patients with medically unexplained ailments and symptoms

I wonder if there is a Freudian slip in the Norwegian title. "Medisinsk uforklart sykdom"/MUS is medically unexplained illness, but here they've written "uforklarlig" which is "unexplainable". In other words they've concluded that it's unexplainable, instead of something that is not yet explained.

quote from article:
    After 11 weeks, the patients in the group where the tool was used had a reduction in sickness absence of 27 percent. In the control group it was 4 percent.

The patients also gave positive feedback on the treatment. No side effects were reported either.

– The conversation tool, based on principles from cognitive therapy and tailored for general practice, gives the patients an explanation for their complaints when conventional tests do not show anything abnormal. Furthermore, it helps them to draw up concrete plans for how they can get better both in their private life and at work, explains Abrahamsen.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
  4. Kalliope

oh, I discovered just now that Professor Silje Reme is among the authors.

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  5. Kalliope

From the paper:
    It is estimated that up to 40% of all consultations in primary care involve patients presenting with MUPS.

6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps here is another Freudian slip, from the 'Added value of this study' summary:
    Rather than 'comprising', this study 'compromises' both patients and GPs
    'Compromising' definitions:
    • (of information or a situation) revealing an embarrassing or incriminating secret about someone. e.g. "compromising letters and blackmail"
    • expediently accept standards that are lower than is desirable. e.g. "we were not prepared to compromise on safety"
    • weaken or harm by accepting standards that are lower than is desirable. "he won't accept any decisions which compromise his principles"
    • bring into disrepute or danger by indiscreet, foolish, or reckless behaviour. e.g. "situations in which his troops could be compromised"
    • cause to become vulnerable or function less effectively e.g. "yo-yo dieting can compromise your immune system"

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've never heard of the Robbin's List before. I took a look at the reference (no. 14) :
    It's old. And if you follow the reference further you can find the whole paper the reference is for linked in Google Scholar (but the link for it is very, very long). It's absolutely typical 1990s (and later) BPS stuff - blame the patient and their mental health. It refers to Fibromyalgia, CFS, Chronic Fatigue, and IBS, plus the inevitable Depression and Anxiety. It refers to the symptoms as being "functional".

(I couldn't bring myself to read all of reference 14 - it is the kind of thing I've read many times before.)

Edit : I found lots of references in the text to the "DIS" and this is what it is :

Last edited: Oct 30, 2023
    alktipping, Hutan, Trish and 2 others like this.
  8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

One for @dave30th

9. NelliePledge

@Kalliope Unexplainable. Yes they let the cat out of the bag there :whistle:

chinook, alktipping, Sean and 3 others like this.
  10. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just read this paper. They found a remarkable strong effect for sick leave (GPs recorded sick leave from the participants’ medical records).

In the intervention group sick leave dropped from 52% to 25.2%, while in the control group it went from 49.7% to 45.7%.

11. Hutan

I think that sick leave outcome can be explained by the bias in participant selection.

If a GP started suggesting to a patient with persisting symptoms that they could just think better and be well, there's a reasonable chance that that patient isn't going to turn up for the second session of being told that. They might even decide that it's time for a new GP.

It's very likely that the participants who stuck with the doctor were either improving anyway or were able to push through their symptom when encouraged to do so, at least for a while. so, I think it would be wrong to assume that that apparent benefit of reduced sick leave could be applied to the general population of people with persisting symptoms.

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed.

I am bid 40%, 40% it is, any more on 40%, do I hear 41%? anyone for 41%, yes the professor of GP in the check shirt over there, 41%, do I hear 42?..... the emeritus in the scuba diving kit over there at 65%. 65% it is. Now, come on let's have 100%, anyone for 100%? Worth every penny.....

dave30th, Arnie Pye, FMMM1 and 8 others like this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, hey, Simpsons did that one, too.

[​IMG]

This is why they talk a lot about patients buying into the steps of the program. If the patients comply, regardless of their condition, easy win. They simply keep out anyone who would resist harming themselves, and of course giving up is usually written off as having improved.

Literally more red flags of pseudoscience than a red flag warehouse.

14. Hutan

Yes, it's the perfect therapy, from the point of view of the medical professional.

Belief that the therapy will cure is the therapy. If you don't believe, then you don't want or get the therapy (and you don't want to be well enough). If you aren't cured, then you didn't believe well enough.

The 'medical professional' can never be found to be inadequate, only the patient.

rvallee, Arnie Pye, Deanne NZ and 5 others like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The Unfalsifiability Scam strikes again.

chinook, rvallee, Arnie Pye and 5 others like this.
  16. Joan Crawford

Joan Crawford Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Lancet at it again :banghead:

The bias here is so obvious :facepalm:

Only allow pts into the trial if they confirm to the researchers world view at the outset. Then marvel at how it works out.

Long laundry list of differing symptoms and conditions. Some likely to ve self limiting/regression to the mean etc.

If a pts was generally improving naturally, then they would likely benefit from some support and interaction with a helpful person to find their feet, confidence and re-engage in valued activities including work.

17. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Surely if you go a Doctor & they cannot explain your symptoms then one explanation is -- well the Doctor is poor? If the Doctor asks colleagues maybe the % decreases --- apart from identifying gaps in medical knowledge I don't think this tells us much.
    Yes, I can imagine Paul Garner might classify a high percentage!

18. NelliePledge

That red flag quote is brilliant @rvallee

very Blackadder

Which is appropriate as these so called researchers are behaving like they are in a sitcom about psychological research.

19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Using that methodology, I have it on good authority that Scientology works 100% of the time. As confirmed by the church of Scientology. Hey, if you can't trust people who dedicate themselves to helping others, who can you trust?! They'll get rid of those ghosts of dead aliens causing mental illness.

If you believe in it. Belief is key. Not like in alternative medicine. Well, OK, just like with alternative medicine. But it's official, so it's completely different. OK, it's the same, actually it's worse, but you can't apply this thinking with non-official pseudoscience, it only works if it's a licensed professional doing the same thing.

It's all so damn lazy. They have this obvious belief that their authority and credibility is a given and can never be lost, that they can say and do whatever, no matter how obviously absurd, and never face any consequences, never lose any trust. Even as they write so often about that lost trust, then how to manipulate their way into getting it back. It's all so freaking insane.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2024
    Sean, Hutan, SNT Gatchaman and 2 others like this.
  20. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That makes all the difference. I met a group of UFO spotters once, but I knew they were genuine as they all had laminated ID cards with their photos and every thing. Obviously their observations were scientifically verifiable as they had clip boards and preprinted recording sheets to make sure they noted everything systematically.

Sean, Hutan, rvallee and 2 others like this.