The Fatigue-Related Symptoms Post-Acute SARS-CoV-2: A Preliminary Comparative Study, 2022, Thomas

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract and Figures
    A sizeable sub-group of individuals continue to experience persistent debilitating symptoms post-acute SARS-CoV-2. Although these can vary from person to person, fatigue appears to be the most common symptom. Post-viral fatigue has been documented in conditions such as influenza, infectious mononucleosis and more recently chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

The current study uses measures that successfully describe the fatigue-related symptoms associated with CFS to investigate the fatigue experienced post-acute SARS-CoV-2. Twenty-six volunteers were recruited from Long COVID support groups active on social media. Data were collected anonymously using an online survey platform. These data were compared to pre-pandemic data from non-fatigued and CFS groups.

The post-acute SARS-CoV-2 volunteers reported significantly higher levels of fatigue and cognitive difficulties than the non-fatigued controls. They also report more individual symptoms (such as lack of concentration) and problems with sleep quality.

There was a similarity between the post-acute SARS-CoV-2 volunteers and the CFS group in terms of levels of depression, perceived stress, emotional distress and cognitive difficulties. Although this was a small-scale study, it demonstrates the range of symptoms experienced post-acute SARS-CoV-2. In addition, the similarities between this group and CFS suggests the need for further research into the mechanisms at play here, the need to identify those at risk of long-term symptoms and the development of possible interventions.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...te_SARS-CoV-2_A_Preliminary_Comparative_Study

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2022
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

26? Social media? Asking only about fatigue? 2.5 years into this, this study is far less comprehensive than the very first paper published by Body Politic 2 years ago. And I do mean the first, the 2nd one was more comprehensive than this. Hell, Gez Medinger's polls were far more comprehensive than this and he's a movie producer, or something like that.

What is even the point of doing small studies that never build on prior knowledge after far better and more comprehensive studies have been published? Especially focused entirely on the same old questionnaires that tell us nothing.

At this point I'm starting to think that a million monkeys smashing on typewriters would get us something useful faster than this.

Snow Leopard, J.G, Trish and 4 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The author is Marie Thomas a reader in psychology at Bath Spa University in the UK.
    Here's our thread on her extortionately expensive book about ME/CFS pubished in 2018 which it seems was based on very out of date and limited information.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/tired-all-the-time-academic-book-by-marie-thomas.5365/#post-103334

Here's a bit I picked out at random from this current paper, from the Discussion section:
    I think it's interesting that she found no significant difference between the long covid group and healthy controls on psychological factors, apart from depression which barely reached significance.

Sean, Ariel, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.