Trial Report The impact of bed rest on human skeletal muscle metabolism, 2024, Wüst

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Dolphin, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports-medicine/fulltext/S2666-3791(23)00601-8#

ARTICLE| VOLUME 5, ISSUE 1, 101372, JANUARY 16, 2024
    The impact of bed rest on human skeletal muscle metabolism
    • Moritz Eggelbusch
    • Braeden T. Charlton
    • Alessandra Bosutti
    • Bergita Ganse
    • Ifigenia Giakoumaki
    • Anita E. Grootemaat
    • Paul W. Hendrickse
    • Yorrick Jaspers
    • Stephan Kemp
    • Tom J. Kerkhoff
    • Wendy Noort
    • Michel van Weeghel
    • Nicole N. van der Wel
    • Julia R. Wesseling
    • Petra Frings-Meuthen
    • Jörn Rittweger
    • Edwin R. Mulder
    • Richard T. Jaspers
    • Hans Degens
    • Rob C.I. Wüst

Highlights

• Muscle glycogen build-up in bed rest reduces insulin sensitivity and further storage

• Muscle lipid overload, lipotoxicity, and inflammation develop during bed rest

• Bed rest shifts muscle metabolism from fatty acid to glucose oxidation

• Intrinsic mitochondrial alterations occur after long-term bed rest

Summary
        Insulin sensitivity and metabolic flexibility decrease in response to bed rest, but the temporal and causal adaptations in human skeletal muscle metabolism are not fully defined.

Here, we use an integrative approach to assess human skeletal muscle metabolism during bed rest and provide a multi-system analysis of how skeletal muscle and the circulatory system adapt to short- and long-term bed rest (German Clinical Trials: DRKS00015677).

We uncover that intracellular glycogen accumulation after short-term bed rest accompanies a rapid reduction in systemic insulin sensitivity and less GLUT4 localization at the muscle cell membrane, preventing further intracellular glycogen deposition after long-term bed rest.

We provide evidence of a temporal link between the accumulation of intracellular triglycerides, lipotoxic ceramides, and sphingomyelins and an altered skeletal muscle mitochondrial structure and function after long-term bed rest.

An intracellular nutrient overload therefore represents a crucial determinant for rapid skeletal muscle insulin insensitivity and mitochondrial alterations after prolonged bed rest.

2. Dolphin

3. Dolphin

Comment underneath which I thought was interesting. I wonder how many people with ME/CFS have been scared into “not resting too much” when more rest/less activity might be better.

4. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure why the poster on Twitter is saying the participants didn’t develop ME/CFS. I skimmed through the paper and I don’t see where they assessed if participants developed clinical symptoms of PEM, fatigue, cog dysfunction etc.

5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Compare with their Long Covid study

6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Development of ME/CFS would have constituted a serious adverse event that would be required to be reported. NASA and the ESA have been doing these types of bed-rest studies for decades.

7. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s quite a leap.

Anyway, the metabolic changes observed here are very similar to those reported in obesity studies. What they inadvertently looked at here is the effect of a hypercaloric diet.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

https://www.nasa.gov/hrp/bed-rest-faqs/

I was wondering what exactly was meant by bed rest. I couldn’t find an explanation by a quick skim of the study.

This is what I found by searching NASA bed rest study. 24 hours a day lying with head tilted down 6 degrees to mimic space. Everything is done lying in this position including showering etc.

9. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This press release by their university gives some brief info:

All experiments, meals, and leisure activities took place lying down. Participants were restricted in their movements, reducing the strain on muscles.​

"The beds were inclined at an angle of 6 degrees, with the head lower than the feet to simulate the displacement of body fluids that astronauts experience in a microgravity environment. For the first time, the potential of artificial gravity was investigated (centrifugation at about 1G at the level of the navel) as a preventive measure against the adverse effects of weightlessness on the human body", says Wüst.
    Source: After 6 days of inactivity, people develop the first symptoms of type 2 diabetes - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (vu.nl)

Could not find anything either. Suspect that people are using the info Wust shared on Twitter earlier rather than the info in this paper. I hope that they will directly compare this deconditioned group and ME or LC patients in a future paper.

10. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

what specific tweet or tweets were those?

bobbler, Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

12. ME/CFS Skeptic

These suggests that they did not see PEM in their deconditioned participants and that the difference with ME/CFS was clear.

EzzieD, livinglighter, Mij and 11 others like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

So it isn't deconditioning. Who knew?

Identify and interrogate the assumptions is the first step in assessing any hypothesis.

The deconditioning assumption is critical to the psychosomatic hypothesis of ME.

Its proponents have never interrogated that assumption.

How much time and resources and cruelly wasted patients' lives could have been saved if they had done their job properly at the start and robustly tested just that assumption alone?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  14. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder how many of them developed OI or POTs and if so, for how long? It's something I was told when seeing Cardiologists re: POTS or low BP. Was told being bedbound for ME was causing this.

Sid, NelliePledge and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It was never a reasonable hypothesis, whatever they might say. Deconditioning doesn't fluctuate, doesn't vary on the order of hours or even minutes. That's why they added the "illness beliefs" nonsense, because it's not deconditioning and they couldn't account for that but they sold their cake, ate it, and had it too because reasons.

And that's on top of how it affects people who were very active mere weeks before, or people who were recovered, resumed their activities, then crashed. And on top of how it's only a minority who ever go through extensive bed rest. And how the symptoms don't necessarily change from early onset, where some people were very active shortly before, compared to months later, when deconditioning could be argued, if there was excessive bed rest.

This is why falsification is critical in science. These quacks never used scientific reasoning, because it proved them wrong. Their arguments amounts to "people with red hair don't exist, if you don't look for them or count them" while dismissing people with red hair saying otherwise as activists, or whatever. It's the excessive level of lying and making stuff up that makes it especially hard to kill. It was always so blatantly fake and wrong.

obeat, rainy, Sean and 4 others like this.