The importance of estimating prevalence of ME/CFS in future epidemiological studies of long COVID, 2023, Grabowska et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Aug 11, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract
    The resolution of the COVID-19 pandemic is giving rise to another public health challenge due to the explosion of long COVID (LC) cases. In many cases, LC results in persistent fatigue, post-exertional malaise (PEM), and other debilitating symptoms that resemble the clinical manifestation of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). The similarity of these two diseases suggests that future epidemiological studies of LC could take the opportunity to also estimate the
    prevalence of ME/CFS at a minimal cost. With this opportunity in mind, we revisited the most consensual case definitions of ME/CFS for research purposes. We then compared the symptoms assessed at the participants’ enrollment in the UK ME/CFS Biobank with those documented in three systematic reviews encompassing hundreds of LC epidemiological studies.

We found that published epidemiological studies of LC did not consistently assess or report the prevalence of PEM, which is a compulsory symptom for ME/CFS diagnosis. However, these studies assessed many neuro-cognitive, immunologic, and autonomic symptoms. In this scenario, we recommend that the estimation of ME/CFS prevalence in the context of LC epidemiology is easily achievable by deploying tested and validated diagnosis tools used in ME/CFS. The knowledge of ME/CFS prevalence within the LC population is of cardinal importance to optimal allocation of resources and better design of healthcare interventions to manage and treat patients with this devastating disease.

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._future_epidemiological_studies_of_long_COVID

ahimsa, Kitty, Sean and 9 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Kitty, rvallee, obeat and 5 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's great to have a paper saying this. It (assessing PEM in Long Covid cases) should have been obvious, but of course it wasn't.

I wonder if we should be encouraging the use of the Fukuda name for this criteria, rather than the CDC name? I think so. It feels as though the CDC label has become more prevalent lately - I might be imagining it, but it has certainly been favoured by BPS authors. Mentioning the CDC brings all the authority of that significant organisation.

These authors are well-informed and, I'm pretty sure, sympathetic to people with ME/CFS. I would have hoped that they would not have given the Fukuda criteria the status as the sole research criteria.

Recommends the use of DePaul Symptoms Questionnaire, and specifically DSQ-PEM:

Notes that the IOM criteria don't impose exclusionary conditions.
    Fair points about the poor quality of LC epidemiological studies

Kitty, EndME, Sean and 5 others like this.
  4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These authors know what they're talking about. All studies of LC symptoms must include PEM.

Kitty, It's M.E. Linda, EndME and 4 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)