The incidence and characteristics of chronic pain and fatigue after 12 months later admitting with COVID-19;..., 2022, Janbazi et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Introduction
    This study aimed to evaluate chronic pain and fatigue in patients 12 months after hospitalization for Covid-19.

Methods
    We studied the COVID-19 patients discharged from Hospital, March 10 and April 20, 2020.

Results
    A total of 157 patients were included in this study. Forty-three patients (27.4%) complained of chronic fatigue and muscle weakness in the last six months. The visual analog fatigue scale (VAFS) score of 3.84 ± 1.48 was obtained. Forty patients (25.5%) were suspected of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

Twenty-four patients (15.3%) had severe chronic pain or exacerbation of previous chronic pain, most of which were reported in the lower back (70.8%) and lower extremities (66.7%). Pain intensity had a mean score of 2.33 ± 0.87 and was mainly described as "muscle cramps," "persistent dull pain," and "boring and numbing." In women, chronic pain and fatigue, extended hospital stays, ICU admission, and depressed mood were common than in men.

For these pain and fatigue, 37% used nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and 16.3% used antidepressants. Only one person had applied for physiotherapy, and none of the patients had received psychotherapy.

Conclusion
    Fatigue and chronic pain in patients recovering from COVID-19 are common complications, even after 12 months of illness.

Paywall, https://journals.lww.com/ajpmr/Abst...e_and_characteristics_of_chronic_pain.24.aspx

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The title of this paper is rather poor English. When I first read it it seemed to be suggesting that subjects had pain and fatigue, 12 months before getting Covid, not after. Mentally when reading it I put a comma after the word fatigue which changes the meaning. Without the comma I couldn't work out any meaning at all.

Peter Trewhitt, Trish and Starlight like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

This study was done in Iran. To me the most interesting bit is that none of the patients had psychotherapy and only one asked for physiotherapy in the 12 months after hospitalisation with Covid.