Thesis The long, arduous road to recovery: an exploration of the experiences of young Norwegian women falling ill with ME/CFS ..., 2024, Krabbe

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Jul 26, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://kudos.dfo.no/documents/83066/files/37902.pdf

The long, arduous road to recovery: an exploration of the experiences of young Norwegian women falling ill with ME/CFS during childhood and adolescence

Silje Helen Krabbe

Thesis submitted for the degree of Philosophia Doctor (PhD) Department of Nursing and Health Promotion Faculty of Health Sciences OsloMet – Oslo Metropolitan University Spring 2024

SUMMARY

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), is a complex, often long-term illness characterized by debilitating fatigue, Post-Exertional Malaise (PEM), and loss of physical and cognitive functioning. To date, the etiology and pathogenesis of ME/CFS are unclear, no objective clinical test can verify the condition, and no curative treatment is available. ME/CFS can strike severely, leaving some children and adolescents bedridden for years. Children’s and adolescents’ experiences of falling ill, being severely ill, and recovering from this debilitating illness have yet to receive detailed investigation. Thus, this thesis explores the experiences, derived from first-person testimonies, of young women who are now in recovery or fully recovered from severe ME/CFS after falling ill during childhood and adolescence.

The empirical material in this thesis consists of narrative interviews with thirteen young women (aged 16-29 years) who fell ill with ME/CFS during childhood or adolescence but now consider themselves to be considerably better or fully recovered. A qualitative narrative methodological approach, inspired by Riessman’s (2008) thematic and structural analysis, was applied, within the framework of a phenomenological theoretical perspective informed by the insights of the French phenomenologist Maurice Merleau-Ponty (1962) and his understanding of lifeworld and the lived body as the basic source of all our experiences and knowledge.

The results are presented in the form of three articles. The first focuses on what the young women told about their experience of falling severely ill with ME/CFS during childhood and adolescence. Here, the identification of common themes encouraged the emergence of a shared narrative, ‘Bodies in lockdown’. This comprises three storylines: The active and meaningful life I used to live (where participants describe their active, taken-for-granted life prior to illness); Gradually developing unhomeliness and being pushed toward the edge (participants’ accounts of the onset of illness, and of struggling to stay active despite constant bodily deterioration and feeling alienated from their habitual way of being); and Left abandoned on the sidelines (participants’ accounts of ending up severely ill, completely incapacitated and dependent on others, with a body essentially in lockdown and no prospect of recovery).

The second article presents findings related to participants’ experiences of being severely and long-time bedridden from ME/CFS during childhood and adolescence. The results are presented in the form of four storylines: Ambivalent responses to the presence of others; A body on the edge of life; An eternity in the dark; and Recasting painful memories of being bedridden and alone. These storylines share a common plot: A suffering body hidden away from others. Together, the storylines build a picture of participants’ overwhelming bodily discomfort and long-term, seemingly endless isolation. The women’s limited access to others brings with it profound loneliness and suffering; it disrupts their sense of belonging to the world and pushes them closer to the edge of life. These results underline the existentially challenging nature of being long-term bedridden and severely ill with ME/CFS.

The third paper focuses on what participants told about their experience of recovering from severe ME/CFS. The findings are presented through two storylines. The first, Exploring and building an understanding of own bodily limits and capacities, reveals how participants were able to test their bodily capabilities in a safe place, slowly creating a more confident self and regaining a sense of belongingness in a world shared with others. The second storyline, Bodily awakening of self: From a dark place to a fragile and unfinished process of reuniting with one’s own body and world, captures women’s accounts of their complex and demanding process of recovery after being severely ill. Here, participants describe how they explored possibilities for action, simultaneously worrying about and making sense of setbacks. Altogether, recovery emerges as an inter-personal, contextual, fragile and non-linear process of homecoming, based on gradually rising bodily-based self-knowledge. The findings indicate that recovery from ME/CFS in childhood and adolescence is indeed possible, although the process can take years, with remissions and relapses likely to be part of the process.

Taken together, the findings of this thesis suggest that falling ill, being ill, and recovering from severe ME/CFS is a complex, long-lasting and dynamic process permeated by suffering that is often intense and existentially challenging. However, if given the possibility, young patients can throughout the process learn to adapt, discover new ways of using their body, and devise fresh ways of living with illness. The process of recovery from ME/CFS involves recreating one’s lifeworld and developing new habitual ways of action. On this basis, suffering can become endurable and existentially easier to live with; over time the young person moves towards living a meaningful life and being healthy in a new way. Overall, this thesis enriches the debate and adds to the knowledge base regarding severe illness and recovery among young people with ME/CFS.

====

SAMMENDRAG

Myalgisk encefalopati (ME), også kjent som Kronisk utmattelsessyndrom (CFS), er en kompleks, ofte langvarig sykdom, preget av betydelig og tidvis invalidiserende fatigue, anstrengelsesutløst sykdomsfølelse (PEM), og tap av fysisk og kognitiv funksjon. Fortsatt er etiologien og patogenesen ved ME/CFS uklar. Ingen objektiv klinisk test kan påvise sykdommen, og ingen kurativ behandling er tilgjengelig. ME/CFS kan medføre alvorlige konsekvenser, og noen barn og ungdommer blir sengeliggende i årevis. Barn og ungdommers opplevelse av innsykning, alvorlig sykdom og tilfriskning fra denne belastende sykdommen, har til dags dato ikke blitt detaljert og grundig forsket på. Hensikten med denne avhandlingen var derfor å utforske hva unge kvinner i tilfriskning eller friske, som ble syke i barne- og ungdomsårene, forteller om opplevelsen med innsykning, sykdom og tilfriskning ved alvorlig ME/CFS. Det empiriske materialet i denne avhandlingen består av narrative intervjuer med tretten unge kvinner (i alderen 16-29 år), som ble syke av ME/CFS i barne- eller ungdomsårene, men som nå anser seg selv som betydelig bedre eller fullt friske. En kvalitativ narrative metodisk tilnærming, inspirert av Riessmans (2008) tematiske og strukturelle analyse, ble brukt, innenfor rammen av et fenomenologisk teoretisk perspektiv informert av innsikten til den franske fenomenologen Maurice Merleau-Ponty og hans forståelse av livsverden og den levde kroppen som grunnleggende kilde til all vår opplevelse og kunnskap. Resultatene presenteres i form av tre artikler. Den første fokuserer på hva de unge kvinnene fortalte om deres opplevelser av å bli alvorlig syk med ME/CFS i barne- og ungdomsårene. Identifiseringen av felles tema resulterte i at funn ble presentert i form av et felles narrativ: Nedstenging av kroppen. Narrativet baserer seg på tre storylines: Det aktive og meningsfulle livet jeg levde (deltakerne beskriver sitt aktive, gitte liv før sykdom); Gradvis utvikling av hjemløshet og bli presset mot kanten/stupet (deltakernes beretninger om sykdomsutbrudd, kamp om å holde seg aktive til tross for konstant kroppslig forverring og følelsen av fremmedgjorthet fra sin habituelle væren); og Etterlatt på sidelinjen (beretninger om å ende opp alvorlig syk, avhengig av andre, når kroppen har stengt seg ned og det ikke er utsikter til bedring). Den andre artikkelen presenterer funn knyttet til deltakernes erfaringer med å være alvorlig syk og langvarig-sengeliggende med ME/CFS i barne- og ungdomsårene. Resultatene presenteres i form av fire storylines: Ambivalente responser på andres tilstedeværelse; En kropp på kanten av livet; En evighet i mørket; og Gjenskaping av smertefulle minner om å være sengeliggende og alene. Disse storylines deler et felles plot: En lidende kropp gjemt borte fra andre. Sammen bygger historiene et bilde av deltakernes overveldende kroppslige ubehag, samt langvarige og tilsynelatende endeløs isolasjon. Kvinnenes begrensende tilgang til andre fører med seg dyp ensomhet og lidelse; det forstyrrer følelsen av å tilhøre verden og skyver de nærmere kanten av livet. Disse funnene understreker det eksistensielt utfordrende ved det å være langvarig sengeliggende og alvorlig syk med ME/CFS som ung. Den tredje artikkelen fokuserer på hva deltakerne fortalte om deres opplevelse av å være i tilfriskning fra alvorlig ME/CFS. Funnene presenteres gjennom to storylines. Den første, Utforske og bygge en forståelse av egne kroppslige grenser og kapasitet, beskriver hvordan deltakerne var i stand til å teste sin kroppslige toleranse på et trygt sted og sakte skape et mer selvsikkert selv og gjenvinne en følelse av tilhørighet med andre. Den andre storyline, Kroppslig overvåkning av selvet: Fra et mørkt sted til en skjør og uferdig prosess med å gjenforenes med egen kropp og verden, fanger unge kvinners beretninger om deres komplekse og krevende tilfriskningsprosesser etter å ha vært alvorlig syk. Her beskriver deltakerne hvordan de utforsker muligheter for handling, samtidig som de bekymrer seg for og prøver å forstå sine tilbakefall. Samlet fremstår tilfriskning som en mellommenneskelig, kontekstuell, skjør og ikke-lineær prosess av å føle seg hjemme i egen væren basert på gradvis økende kroppsbasert selverkjennelse. Funnene indikerer at tilfriskning fra ME/CFS i barne- og ungdomsårene faktisk er mulig, men prosessen kan ta år og bedring og tilbakefall vil sannsynligvis være en del av prosessen. Samlet sett, tyder funnene i denne avhandlingen på at det å bli syk, være syk og det å bli bedre av alvorlig ME/CFS, er en kompleks, langvarig og dynamisk prosess. Lidelse gjennomsyrer hele prosessen, og kan være intenst og eksistensielt utfordrende, men hvis gitt muligheten, kan unge gjennom prosessen lære seg å tilpasse seg og oppdage nye måter å bruke kroppen på. Sammen med nye måter å leve med sykdommen på. Prosessen med tilfriskning, innebærer å gjenskape ens livsverden og utvikle nye habituelle måter å handle på. På dette grunnlaget kan lidelse bli utholdelig og eksistensielt lettere å leve med; over tid beveger den unge seg mot å leve et meningsfylt liv og kan oppleve å være frisk på en ny måte. Samlet sett beriker denne avhandlingen debatten og legger til kunnskapsgrunnlaget om alvorlig sykdom og tilfriskning blant unge mennesker med ME/CFS.

Obermann, MeSci, JohnTheJack and 4 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some papers connected with this thesis have previously been discussed on the forum.

3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I've never seen PEM translated to "Anstrengelsesutløst sykdomsfølelse" before. "Sykdomsfølelse" would translate to "feeling sick", and based on the focus of these papers that have been discussed on the forum already this seems like the author is saying the patients aren't sick but feel like they are.

There is so much in the language used throughout this.

tornandfrayed, rainy, RedFox and 7 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maurice Merleau-Penty is the godfather of pseudo-academic drivel.

Obermann, alktipping, Mij and 8 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Basing the study of a disease on 13 people who recovered, and not including people who have not recovered is bound to give a false perspective on cause and effect, especially in the hands of people with a preconceived notion of what ME/CFS is.

This stuff is so harmful. Have they no idea that attributing recovery to the psychological development of the individual is harmful to those who don't recover, adding a sense of inadequacy and blame.

I would be very angry if someone tried to interpret my state of health or disease using a few short conversations with me and:

I wonder how they worded their consent form for the study participants.

"I'm going to muddle up bits of your personal story as told to me in a few interviews with 12 other people's personal stories, rearrange them in 'themes' I invent, then apply someone else's pseudoscientific jargon filled theories to interpeting it. The result will bear little or no relation to your reality, but I'll get a PhD out of it.
    Do you consent to participate?"

6. Obermann

Obermann Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The problem with statements like these is the implication that you recover because you recreate your lifeworld. It is quite natural that a person recovering from a chronic condition changes their lifeworld. It doesn’t mean that they recover because of it.

7. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I couldn’t face reading this, but feel it is important to note we have no idea why some people recover and some don’t, also we have no idea what levels of significant relapses occur in adults who previously recovered when children or adolescents.

Dealing with such a poorly understood condition where many health and education staff will give you bad and even harmful advice, will impose their own unevidenced beliefs on you is hard for those who are lucky enough to experience some spontaneous improvement but perhaps even harder for those who do not.