The multi-generational familial aggregation of interstitial cystitis, other chronic nociplastic pain disorders, depression, & panic disorder 2023 Fyer

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jul 18, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Background
    Interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome (IC) is a chronic pelvic pain condition which has high comorbidity with other nociplastic, or unexplained, pain disorders [e.g. fibromyalgia (FM), irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue (ME/CFS)] and some psychiatric conditions [major depressive disorder (MDD) and panic disorder (PD)]. Here we investigated the shared familiality of IC and these other nociplastic and psychiatric conditions.

Methods
    Subjects were identified in the Utah Population Database, which links genealogy data back to the 1800s to medical record diagnosis billing code data back to 1995. We computed the relative risk of each of these disorders among first (FDR), second (SDR), and third-degree relatives (TDR) of six proband groups: IC, FM, IBS, ME/CFS, PD, and MDD. Given the known familial aggregation of each of these disorders, we conducted our analyses to test for heritable interrelationships using proband subgroups whose members did not have the diagnosis assessed in their relatives.

Results
    We observed strong evidence for heritable interrelationships among all six disorders. Most analyses indicated significantly increased risk for each of the six disorders in FDR, SDR, and TDR of all or most proband groups. Out of 30 possible bidirectional disorder interrelationships, 26 were significant among FDR, 23 were significant among SDR, and 7 were significant among TDR. Clustering was observed in both close and distant relatives.

Conclusions
    Our results support a common, heritable component to IC and other nociplastic and psychiatric conditions.

Paywall, https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...nic-disorder/CDF61AEB998CB96FEBFADAC29C199217

SNT Gatchaman and Hutan like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Definion from Google
    Nociplastic pain is the semantic term suggested by the international community of pain researchers to describe a third category of pain that is mechanistically distinct from nociceptive pain, which is caused by ongoing inflammation and damage of tissues, and neuropathic pain, which is caused by nerve damage.

alktipping, Mithriel and Lou B Lou like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

4. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not surprised to see this link. IC is one of the symptoms I’ve struggled with as part of my ME/CFS.

Trish likes this.