The Physiological Society: Online conference: Long COVID: Mechanisms, Risk Factors, and Recovery, Feb 22nd - 23rd

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Andy, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This innovative two-day conference will review the challenges of understanding the pathophysiological changes following COVID-19 infection. These persistent symptoms following SARS-CoV-2 infection, otherwise known as ‘long COVID’, have affected people all around the world. It is a heterogeneous disease with multimorbidities and affecting many physiological systems.

Bringing together physiologists and clinicians, we can better understand the underlying mechanisms and identify potential therapies.

A snapshot of the sessions on offer:

• Characterising long COVID: What is it?
    • Risk factors: Why do some people get long COVID and not others?
    • Impact of long COVID on active individuals: Athletics and military perspective
    • Mechanisms of long COVID
    • Treatments for long COVID
    • Ideas exchange in our panel discussions
    https://www.physoc.org/events/long-covid-mechanisms-risk-factors-and-recovery/

2. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Email from Dr Catherine Hall.

Dear Dr Beatty,

Thanks for your email. Our final programme is nearly complete but I will see if we have any space for a post-exertional perspective, which would definitely be interesting. We will also consider submitted abstracts for oral presentations so encourage anyone you know in this research area to submit abstracts. I’d also like to reassure you we have definitely tried to include people who can bring understanding of the relevance of ME/CFS to understanding Long COVID. Karl Morten, for example, has studied mitochondrial involvement in ME/CFS and is now relating that to Long COVID. I expect he and others will speak to the associations between the two conditions.

Thanks again for your email.

Best,

Catherine

Trish, MEMarge, petrichor and 3 others like this.