The Search for Biomarkers in Fibromyalgia, Hackshaw, 2021

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4418/11/2/156/htm

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An aside, but I still have no idea what is meant by ‘central sensitivity’ in such as the above phrase ‘central sensitivity syndromes’.

Have proponents actually defined what it means; whenever I hear it I image it some sort lowering threshold in the firing of neurones or a change in the conductivity of the nerve fibres, but this ought to be eminently measurable and quite why would you automatically assume such a phenomenon to be amenable to psychological or behavioural intervention.

3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have been interested in fibro research since 1996. This article is a good review of what's been elucidated.

The author points out that it's probably necessary to have multiple bio-markers because of the many abnormalities captured in research studies but that do not capture 100% of fibro patients. We may be looking at mis-diagnosis, or at natural course of disease processes that are abnormal as disease progresses.

Sound familiar perhaps for ME?

Also, in the summary (end) paragraph is noted that people with end-point process of fibro (small fiber neuropathy) could receive steroid or gammaglobulin therapies, which would not be indicated for less severe and earlier cases of FM.

Good bibliography.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Notice how literally none of this is about the patient, quality of life or other things. It's entirely centered on the health care system or how expensive the patients are. Even the physicians' "distress", by which they mean minor discomfort, is held above ours, even though what is considered our "distress" is mostly about basic human needs and the very symptoms that are interpreted for no valid reason.

Medicine devoid of humanity is completely dysfunctional. We're not even people in this perspective, we're just expensive dumb lumps of non-compliant meat. Just tell the dumb meat to get back to work, is an actual current perspective in medicine, in fact it is the dominant and only perspective save for individuals who, in rare numbers, reject this inhumane orthodoxy. When the dumb lumps of meat won't get back to work just cut off all help and support, they won't have a choice and the problem, the complaints, will magically disappear.

Hence the complete lack of progress. All of this is the product of conscious decisions, all of it ignoring basic concepts such as ethics and consent. All of it with no other possible outcome that total failure.

alktipping, sebaaa, oldtimer and 2 others like this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On central sensitization https://myalgia.com/Pain_amplification/Pain amplification.htm

Basically pain amplification and maintenance of pain has been noted in chronic pain patients. If you think of the phrase: pain amplification (instead of central sensitization of the nervous system in the amplification and maintenance of pain signals).

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.