Times (Peta Bee) Exhausted? You may have hyper-fatigue

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Shadrach Loom, May 16, 2023.

1. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/exhausted-you-may-have-hyper-fatigue-jc9dmvmbg

https://archive.ph/jhAOF (unpaywalled)

There’s a Dec 22 podcast from Mintel on how to engage hyper fatigued consumers here.

It’s unhelpful enough for ditzy health journalists to spend so much time on TATT and its remedies. Worse, somehow, for market segmentation nerds to get enthused about this cohort.

Still, at least Bee makes some effort to distinguish hyper fatigue from “debilitating chronic fatigue”, which is associated, apparently, with “fluctuating hormones”. :banghead:

Peter Trewhitt, shak8, Mij and 9 others like this.
  2. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Says a lot about what’s behind all this that we’ve got Mintel studying it ‘as a market’

Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  3. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's a bit perturbing to have fatigue ('hyper-fatigue'? More catchy?...) identified as a consumer trend but some of the general advice on TATT seems reasonable enough just so long as they don't start amalgamating it with ME/CFS.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Looks like they are talking about a mix of chronic stress and lack of sleep, poor diet and Vitamin D and iron deficiencies. And probably in some cases burn out. I guess they are using the term 'hyper-fatigue' to give a fancy name to when ordinary everyday fatigue gets to the stage that it interrupts life and people seek medical advice, or more likely turn to the internet for advice. Fortunately they don't make any suggestion it's anything to do with ME/CFS.