To Live Past 100, Mangia a Lot Less: Italian Expert’s Ideas on Aging

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty likes this.
  2. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the comment section:

“It's exciting to see the results in the study, decreased aging in liver and blood markers, until you try to see what they altered to get those results. The methods section sends you to a website selling their patented diet. Suddenly the study looks more like a giant ad, hawking a $35/day diet. Real longevity research, research intended to benefit humanity as a whole instead of a scientist's personal patented diet, needs to have transparent meethods that can be replicated in other labs in order to get at the question of what factors influence aging and how we can slow its progress.”

3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As a PWME, why would I want to live longer? If fasting would let me live longer, bring on the donuts!

4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My mother ate a lot of bananas and is now 102.

5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My auntie didn't like bananas and died at 93, so there you are.

(I'm not keen on them either if I'm honest, so I won't be making old bones.)

oldtimer, boolybooly, MeSci and 5 others like this.
  6. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What? Will Montalbano TV series have all the deliciously serious eating scenes edited out?

And what about the obese pathologist who, if sitting down, has a plate full of pastries on his desk. And the detective takes his seaside, seafood restaurant meals as seriously as his murders. No talking until after I've eaten, he always says.

oldtimer, Amw66, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, not sure I want to live to 100 with ME. Hard enough at 60, and not improving.

8. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quality not quantity .
    Like value and cost .

NelliePledge, rvallee and Kitty like this.
  9. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Even if I am not getting quality I want as much quantity as I can get. You only get one, if this is it then so be it, make the best of it.

Theory being, research has got to get its act together one day and the longer I live the better chance I have of seeing it.

oldtimer, Sean and Dolphin like this.
  10. josepdelafuente

josepdelafuente Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a fascinating thing to think about! I'm definitely in the quality over quantity camp I think!
    But your perspective also makes sense.

oldtimer and Sean like this.
  11. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm already in my declining years, so there's not much to look forward to even if they did come up with an effective treatment. I don't even bother imagining what my life would be like if a treatment arrived, since I expect it will be too far in the future to make predictions (AI, global warming, maybe global financial meltdown). I just take life day by day, and when it gets to the point of no longer being worth staying alive, I won't.

perchance dreamer, oldtimer and Sean like this.
  12. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was an article in today's paper claiming that eating two medium bananas (or a cup of spinach or a large sweet potato:eek:) per day is more effective at lowering BP than reducing salt intake. Ugandans eat 660 pounds of bananas a year - each. That's over five medium bananas per day! Their life expectancy is under 63. New Zealanders eat 40 pounds each per year and their life expectancy is 83. Therefore it's as plain as day that the fewer bananas per day, the longer the life expectancy.

Exactly how I feel.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    Creekside and boolybooly like this.