Tracking cognitive trajectories in older survivors of COVID-19 up to 2.5 years post-infection, Liu et al, 2024

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Kalliope, Jul 10, 2024.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Emerging evidence suggests that neurological and other post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 can persist beyond or develop following SARS-CoV-2 infection.

However, the long-term trajectories of cognitive change after a COVID-19 infection remain unclear.

Here we investigated cognitive changes over a period of 2.5 years among 1,245 individuals aged 60 years or older who survived infection with the original SARS-CoV-2 strain in Wuhan, China, and 358 uninfected spouses.

We show that the overall incidence of cognitive impairment among older COVID-19 survivors was 19.1% at 2.5 years after infection and hospitalization, evaluated using the Telephone Interview for Cognitive Status-40.

Cognitive decline primarily manifested in individuals with severe COVID-19 during the initial year of infection, after which the rate of decline decelerated.

Severe COVID-19, cognitive impairment at 6 months and hypertension were associated with long-term cognitive decline.

These findings reveal the long-term cognitive trajectory of the disease and underscore the importance of post-infection cognitive care for COVID-19 survivors.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43587-024-00667-3

RedFox, Sean, mango and 1 other person like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As someone who has had ME for thirty years, two and a half years does not very seem long-term to me.

Mij, Amw66, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I am coming up to 40 years in October. Basically my whole adult life. 2.5 years is a blip on that time scale.

(Which in no way dismisses the plight of those having had it for that relatively short time, or any length of time.)

LJord, NelliePledge, Amw66 and 6 others like this.