1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Suramin as a possible treatment for Autism, ME CFS and Long Covid

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by BurnA, Oct 22, 2017.

1. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2023
    Wonko and Valentijn like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Suramin for Autism trial by Naviaux where he tried a single dose with 5 children, and observed some temporary improvement. His hypothesis that it might also work for ME/CFS is based on his metabolomic studies showing parallels in both conditions related to the Cell Danger Response.

Low-dose suramin in autism spectrum disorder: a small, phase I/II, randomized clinical trial
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/acn3.424/abstract;jsessionid=7CE70079E7C886450E7B49B69C1B604A.f02t02#publication-history

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
  3. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

Merged thread

Naviaux talks on autism and Suramin

This talk seems to relate to the talk that Naviaux gave at the OMF event where he talked about Suramin being used to suppress signals to cells. He was suggesting a similar mechanism for ME.

Ysabelle-S, Andy and Skippa like this.
  4. Ysabelle-S

Ysabelle-S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's an interesting talk.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Copied from Robert Naviaux' Lab - News - from 2019 onwards
    more discussion of Suramin on that thread.

Breakthroughs in the Cause and Treatment of Autism and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

From the Naviaux Lab, University of California, San Diego Robert K. Naviaux, MD, PhD - December 2019
    Founder and Co-director, the Mitochondrial and Metabolic Disease Center (MMDC) Professor of Genetics, Departments of Medicine, Pediatrics, and Pathology

http://naviauxlab.ucsd.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Naviaux-Lab-Newsletter-Winter-2019_v10_sm.pdf

8 page pdf

Headings:

Background
    The autism-mitochondria connection
    The SAT1 study (suramin in autism)
    Newborn screening for autism
    Exposomics and Metabolomics

Plans for 2020:
    The SAT2 Trial
    ME/CFS—Triggers and Networks that Connect the Metabolome and Exposome
    Lyme disease
    Back to the Future—The 2020 UMDF Symposium (mitochondrial medicine)
    Tying it all together
    Funding

Here is the ME/CFS section on page 5 with added paragraph breaks for easier reading:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2023
  6. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...h-virtual-investor-summit-microcap-event.html

PaxMedica to Present at the Jan 26th Virtual Investor Summit Microcap Event
    January 20, 2023 13:31 ET | Source: PaxMedica, Inc.

Presentation on Thursday, January 26th, 2023 at 1:30 PM EST

TARRYTOWN, NY, Jan. 20, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- via NewMediaWire -- PaxMedica, Inc. (Nasdaq: PXMD), a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focusing on the development of novel anti-purinergic drug therapies (“APT”) for the treatment of disorders with intractable neurologic symptoms, today announced that it will be presenting virtually at the upcoming Virtual Investor Summit on January 26th.

Event: Q1 Investor Summit

Date: Thursday, January 26th, 2023

Presentation: January 26th at 1:30 PM ET

Location: https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_LRZ8iM38TTCNpbbgvkUvCA

• The theme is 25 micro-cap companies with a catalyst and/or strong performance in the current market
    • 1x1s will be available for qualified investors
    • The conference is completely complimentary to qualified investors. Please register at Complimentary Investor Registration
    About PaxMedica

PaxMedica is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focusing on the development of anti-purinergic drug therapies (“APT”) for the treatment of disorders with intractable neurologic symptoms, ranging from neurodevelopmental disorders, including Autism Spectrum Disorder (“ASD”), to Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (“ME/CFS”), a debilitating physical and cognitive disorder believed to be viral in origin and now with rising incidence globally due to the long term effects of SARS-CoV-2 (“COVID-19”). One of PaxMedica’s primary points of focus is the development and testing of its lead program, PAX-101, an intravenous formulation of suramin, in the treatment of ASD and the advancement of the clinical understanding of using that agent against other disorders such as ME/CFS and Long COVID-19 Syndrome, a clinical diagnosis in individuals who have been previously infected with COVID-19. For more information, please visit: www.paxmedica.com

About the Investor Summit

The Investor Summit is an exclusive, independent conference dedicated to connecting smallcap and microcap companies with qualified investors. The Q1 Investor Summit will take place virtually, featuring 30 companies and over 120 institutional, family office, and high net worth investors. Sectors Participating: Biotech, Communication Services, Consumer, Energy, Technology, Financial, Healthcare, Industrials, Materials, Real Estate. Contact: emily@investorsummitgroup.com

8. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Suramin was seen as a potential treatment for M.E. for some reason, wasn't it?

Wonko likes this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PaxMedica Releases 2022 Shareholder Letter
    https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2023/02/15/2608576/0/en/PaxMedica-Releases-2022-Shareholder-Letter.html
    Only mention of ME/CFS:
    “I’d like to close by thanking the team and the Board of Directors for their hard work and insight in our first year as
    a public company. I’d also like to thank our shareholders and other stakeholders for their interest and support in the work that PaxMedica is doing to find treatments for disorders with intractable neurologic symptoms, including Autism Spectrum Disorder and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (“ME/CFS”).”

Solstice and RedFox like this.
  11. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

PaxMedica, Inc. Provides Business Update and Reports Fourth Quarter 2022 Financial Results
    https://www.marketwatch.com/press-r...rth-quarter-2022-financial-results-2023-03-29

Takeaways:
    • They want to get suramin approved in the US for treating African sleeping sickness by analyzing existing data, which they expect to be finished in the second half of 2023. If I understand correctly, this is a complicated maneuver to get funding. The FDA will issue them a voucher for accelerated review if it's approved. But that voucher can be used on any drug, and can be sold. Instead of using it, PaxMedica will sell their voucher to fund their business. These vouchers go for around $100 million, which would leave Pax with ample funding to research suramin as a drug for ME or autism.
    • They want to apply to the FDA to study suramin in autism in 2024.
    The rest of their update revolves around business matters, like funding and hiring. They're pursuing autism more than ME/CFS--not surprising, as autism has several times the prevalence (In the US, 5.4M with autism vs. 836k-2.5M with ME) and dramatically higher recognition and awareness.

Jaybee00, Trish and Dolphin like this.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An interesting and detailed press release

https://www.bloomberg.com/press-rel...etes-hat-301-registrational-trial-for-pax-101

RedFox and Dolphin like this.
  14. Braganca

Braganca Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You have got to be kidding me. What medical records did they keep in Malawi in 1900?

Ariel likes this.
  16. Jaybee00

Ummm clearing my throat……

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/10/4/02-0626_article

Reanalyzing the 1900–1920 Sleeping Sickness Epidemic in Uganda

Abstract
    Sleeping sickness has long been a major public health problem in Uganda. From 1900 to 1920, more than 250,000 people died in an epidemic that affected the southern part of the country, particularly the Busoga region. The epidemic has traditionally been ascribed to T. b. gambiense, a parasite now confined to central and western Africa. The Busoga region still reports sleeping sickness, although it is caused by Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense, commonly believed to have spread to Uganda from Zambia in the 1940s. Our analysis of clinical data recorded in the early 1900s shows that the clinical course of sleeping sickness cases during the 1900–1920 epidemic in Uganda was markedly different from T.b. gambiense cases, but similar to T.b. rhodesiense. These findings suggest that T.b. rhodesiense was present in Uganda and contributed to the epidemic. The historic context is reassessed in the light of these data.

Hutan, RedFox and Trish like this.
  17. Jaybee00

This is complicated.

Hutan, Ariel, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  18. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trish likes this.
  19. Sid

So it seems that the Phase II trial in South Africa did not replicate Naviaux’s original finding of 20 mg being more effective than placebo. He had 5 patients per arm in the original trial if I recall. In this new trial, 10 mg appeared to be more effective in that it seemed to separate from placebo while 20 mg did not. This study appears to be unpublished. I searched Pubmed and couldn’t find it. The lack of a dose response relationship should be concerning to them. The CEO in the YouTube video glosses over these inconvenient findings and seems to think the study was a success.

Hutan, Ariel, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  20. Sid

Ash, Hutan, Ariel and 2 others like this.