Twelve Tufts University lacrosse players were diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis after a voluntary Navy SEAL workout led by a school alum earlier this week

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Sep 22, 2024 at 7:01 PM.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Twelve Tufts University men's lacrosse players were diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, a rare and life-threatening muscle disorder, following a 45-minute voluntary workout with a school alum who recently graduated as a Navy SEAL, according to school spokesperson Patrick Collins.

The workout, which took place earlier this week, has resulted in 12 cases of the disease within the lacrosse program, and five hospitalizations as of Saturday afternoon. According to Collins, the number of cases and hospitalizations could increase.

Around 50 players in total participated in the workout, and the university is planning to "conduct a thorough review as quickly as possible, with the goal of taking any steps needed to support the safety of the student-athletes."

Rhabdomyolysis occurs when a damaged muscle breaks down rapidly and causes the release or proteins and electrolytes into an individual's bloodstream. The effects of the protein and electrolyte release can cause kidney failure, disability or death.
    LINK

2. Mij

Rhabdomyolysis is most often caused by direct traumatic injury, but the condition can also be the result of toxins, infections, muscle ischemia, electrolyte and metabolic disorders, exertion or prolonged bed rest.

I wonder why there were so many players that came down with this? Is this common? Was it from contracting Covid?

Lou B Lou, bobbler and hotblack like this.
  3. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge, bobbler, Mij and 1 other person like this.
  4. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dehydration is also on a list I saw so if it was a hot day and they were really over pushed… but still for so many out of 50 people

then again is it the sort of thing that people have sbd it gets missed until it gets to a certain level of urgency

5 were critical or something so maybe the others it helped them being picked up because the ones who were in hospital

MEMarge, Lou B Lou and Mij like this.
  5. Mij

“The most common symptoms are feeling like prolonged kind of muscle stiffness and discomfort and weakness,” Dr. Shruti Gupta told CNN affiliate WCVB in an interview while explaining more about the condition. “Usually we see these cases more in isolation and so it’s puzzling for it to happen in particularly … people who are athletes.”

MEMarge and bobbler like this.
  6. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I forgot it’s lacrosse too. As someone who read the Enid blyton books of jolly hockey sticks schools I had a shock when I first saw university level version

they wear gear closer to American football - helmets and pads etc

And I think there is a lot more of a contact sport side to it than most other sports.

so maybe the ‘old injuries’ part is possible as a factor too

Trish and Mij like this.