Typical everyday movements cause specific patterns in heart rate, 2024, Max J. Heidelbach et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Jul 26, 2024 at 3:38 PM.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Physical inactivity and sedentary behaviour are important risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Knowledge about the impact of everyday movements on cardiac autonomic regulation is sparse.

This study aims to provide evidence that typical everyday movements show a clear impact on heart rate regulation. 40 healthy participants performed two everyday movements: (1) calmly kneeling down (“tie one’s shoes”) and standing up again and (2) raising the arms to the horizontal (“expressive yawning”). Both movements elicited reproducible pattern in the sequence of heart periods. Local minima and local maxima appeared in the transient period of approx. 30 s.

The regulatory response for ergometer cycling, which was used as control, did not show a pattern formation. Calmly performed everyday movements are able to elicit rich cardiac regulatory responses including specific patterns in heart rate.

These newly described patterns have multiple implications for clinical and rehabilitative medicine, basic research, digital health data processing, and public health. If carried out regularly these regulatory responses may help to mitigate the burden of physical inactivity and enrich cardiovascular regulation.

LINK

2. Mij

I've been lifting very light 2-4lb weights for the last 10 months for a few minutes on and off throughout the day depending on how I'm feeling and I'm building muscle for the first time. It is improving my upper body strength while sitting upright. I'm not as fatigued overall. I'm noticing more muscle tone now too. I can't do resistance training with my larger muscle groups ex legs, but training my upper body is improving my overall strength.

I hope I can continue.

3. Mij

From the study:

Everyday movements are rarely considered relevant for cardiac health because they are obviously not considered as an exercise. However, recent findings suggest that even light-intensity activity is more beneficial than no activity (Del Pozo Cruz et al., 2021; World Health Organization, 2022).

Changing sedentary behaviour to any kind of simple physical activity, even standing, seems to be favorable (Blodgett et al., 2024).

Sean, alktipping, Midnattsol and 3 others like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yeah emptying filling dishwasher, putting dishes away in cupboards, moving laundry around to rack or dryer taking laundry up and downstairs, putting clothes away in drawers on hangers,Carrying shopping in from delivery unpacking food etc into fridge/freezer and cupboards, putting rubbish and recycling in outside bins. Taking wheelie bins out down the passage at the side of the house. Opening and closing binds and curtains. Food preparation. Walk from parked car to Drs Surgery etc
    Vs
    Going for a walk unrelated to any specific living activity

Sean, alktipping, Midnattsol and 4 others like this.
  5. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have not read the study but I see that the authors are from the “Integrated Curriculum for Anthroposophic Medicine” at a German university. As far as I’m aware, anthroposophy is a pseudoscientific discipline if not a sect. I would interpret their findings paper with caution.

Sean, alktipping, Midnattsol and 2 others like this.