UK Government: New technology challenge to support people who are isolating

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Andy, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-technology-challenge-to-support-people-who-are-isolating

Yessica, mango, Barry and 8 others like this.
  2. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hope they continue the services afterwards for those who consistently have to self-isolate.

Wits_End, MEMarge, Sarah94 and 6 others like this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd like to see some gadget as simple as a landline that offers online video calls for elderly people who aren't familiar with the Internet and wouldn't know what to do with a computer even if they had one (and it's too late to sit next to them and coach them now). I'd buy my mum one like a shot if it existed.

4. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

have you seen the advert for portal looks like a tablet but the advert seams to make it look very simple to use .possibly misleading .

5. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did see an ad, but when I looked at a demo on YouTube I thought it would be well beyond anyone not used to the Internet. You don't just switch it on and have a simple interface, unfortunately.

Massive tech opportunity for a business, I'd have thought.

6. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes so many adverts for tech are allowed to be very misleading . like when they show modern phone apps working really fast and then in very small print at the bottom a disclaimer deliberately placed there because our brains are wired to see moving images first . I think such advertising is very dishonest and puts me of having any dealings with those companies and products.

7. Gecko

Gecko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Possibly still too complex but there are some phones designed for the elderly such as this one:
    https://www.techsilver.co.uk/product/easy-smartphone-elderly/

If it's set up for them, they were told how to turn it off and on, and had instructions, then picking up a WhatsApp video call might be doable. But I do agree tech companies could quite easily do better here, and would have a market.

alktipping, MEMarge, Andy and 2 others like this.