UK: Health Services Safety Investigations Body

Discussion in 'General clinical care' started by Andy, Nov 16, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

About us
    We aim to be the global leader in professional, high quality healthcare safety investigations. We investigate patient safety concerns across England to improve NHS care at a national level. Our investigations do not find blame or liability with individuals or organisations. Information shared with us is confidential and protected by law.

Through our education programme we help embed professional safety investigation expertise in healthcare organisations.

We are a fully independent arm’s length body of the Department of Health and Social Care.

https://www.hssib.org.uk/

Kitty, Sean, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Kitty, EzzieD, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I suspect they would just say they aren't interested in past problems with GET because NICE no longer recommends it.

Kitty, Sean, alktipping and 1 other person like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

True, but if patients could provide evidence, if it exists, that clinics aren't following the guidelines then there might be value in that.

bobbler, Kitty, Sean and 8 others like this.
  5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

" Our investigations do not find blame or liability with individuals or organisations. Information shared with us is confidential and protected by law." this is the whole problem why health services fail again and again. no one suffers the consequence for causing harms or deaths .then everything goes on in one big circle lessons are never taken on board if their are no consequences for the people who fail us.

Kitty, rvallee, Trish and 2 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this is trying to address some of the issues with the NHS at a wider level .
    From recent " scandals", it's clear that there is so much of a blame game culture that whistleblowing is a very risky business, with the result that bad practice exists for longer than it should and more harm is caused .
    Jeremy Hunt when health secretary was looking at how other countries dealt with this . I think it was Sweden that had a no blame system focussed on learning from mistakes ; I don't know how that system works and whether accountability is part of it . Transparency matters too however , so how does public know re necessary changes proposed and instigated ?

You only have to look at the mess that is the contaminated blood scandal - still rumbling on from the 80s , no doubt exacerbated by our blame culture , to appreciate the impact such a system could have.

Squaring accountability may be the difficult aspect , but I do wonder if this had been in existence previously if GET would have been withdrawn faster as there are so many affected people whose voices could have been afforded a mechanism to flag up its effects.

The fly in the ointment, as ever, is the political aspect .

alktipping, Kitty, Missense and 2 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"A slap on the wrist? Oh no, that's way too harsh."

alktipping, Kitty and Ash like this.