UK: NHS doctors with Long Covid sue the NHS, 2024

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by SNT Gatchaman, Jan 25, 2024.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sky News — 'The NHS sold out its staff': Doctors whose lives were devastated by long COVID to sue health service

https://news.sky.com/story/the-nhs-...-by-long-covid-to-sue-health-service-13055384

Hundreds of doctors are planning to sue the NHS over claims inadequate PPE on the frontline has left them with long COVID, disabled, and in financial ruin.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2024
    Ash, Kalliope, Kitty and 16 others like this.
  2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish them the best of luck going up against the NHS. If the government and insurers were to do right by the people they've made sick or the people they denied adequate care they'd be out of billions. It's a small fine to pay for destroying peoples lives.

Ash, Kitty, Joan Crawford and 11 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

My sympathy to the doctors involved. The PPE situation in the UK was disastrous for many. For every doctor affected there are likely to be large multiples of others working in the NHS, particularly nurses who spent all day every day on the wards, equally affected. This could cost billions, and doubtless the government will want to fight it.

Ash, Kitty, Joan Crawford and 12 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems kind of weird what with pretty much all control measures having been stopped for a while now. So that judgment should also apply to the current lack of protections, and so is very unlikely to win. It should pass, but might is right. At best it would drag on for years.

As long as this issue remains confined locally, every health care system doing its own things separate from the rest of the world, it's unlikely that anything will happen. This is a problem that requires international collaboration in a coherent effort, and wow are we far from seeing any of this.

Ash, Kitty, Solstice and 6 others like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also iNews (strangely in the "lifestyle" section) —

I’m a doctor with spinal damage from Covid – this is why I’m suing the NHS
    Nathalie MacDermott, a paediatric infectious diseases doctor, she says: 'If we had another pandemic tomorrow, I think we would make the same mistakes again'

Ash, Kitty, ukxmrv and 5 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

I'm a doctor with spinal damage from COVID- this is why I'm suing the NHS

Nathalie MacDermott is a paediatric infectious diseases doctor and clinical lecturer at King’s College London. While working on a Covid ward at Great Ormond Street in May 2020, she contracted Covid, leading to a spinal injury that impairs her ability to work until this day. She is part of Long Covid Doctors for Action, an advocacy group that is filing a class action lawsuit with the NHS for not adequately protecting healthcare workers from the risks of infection.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle...om-covid-this-is-why-im-suing-the-nhs-2873364

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2024
    Ash, Binkie4 and Tia like this.