UK-Preparing for a challenging winter 2020/21, 2020, Academy of Medical Sciences, Holgate

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Esther12, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

First two posts copied from
    Coronavirus - worldwide spread and control
    For general discussion of the UK response to Covid-19, please post on that thread

That report was from Holgate:

https://acmedsci.ac.uk/file-download/51353957

OT, but this was of interest to me:

This too:

The 'expert advisory group' included Matthew Hotopf.

Claire Bithell, who did a lot of the worst Science Media Centre spin, also played a role as Head of Communications at the Academy of Medical Sciences

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2020
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks to me like a complete lame duck. The four proposals are the basic minimum that nobody even needs to be told about. What we need are some real changes. For instance sending all Covid19 cases to dedicated fever hospitals not ordinary hospitals. Enforced quarantine. Shutting down air traffic. Like the sorts of things they do in New Zealand and Australia. All these establishment cronies are equally culpable. In comparison to Independent SAGE it is little better than a whitewash.

FMMM1, MEMarge, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Given Professor Holgate's position as Chair of the CMRC and his role as chair of the Expert Advisory Committee that authored this document, I thought the excerpts @Esther12 posted were particularly interesting.

It's good to see post-viral sequelae getting a mention. However, the discussion slides from post-viral sequelae, which may well have differences depending on the virus, e.g. lung damage in Covid-19, to post-viral syndromes. There is emphasis on how different each of the post-viral syndromes are and a downplaying of how long they last. For example:
    gives the reader no accurate idea of the high proportion of people affected with, or the long-term nature and severity of, the post-viral consequences of that coronavirus infection.
    This fails to mention fatigue, which has been documented as a very debilitating symptom of post-Ebola syndrome.

While this is potentially true e.g. in terms of PTSD, it is very liable to mis-interpretation. It certainly opens the door for 'chronic fatigue' following Covid-19 to be labelled as psychological in origin. I know Professor Holgate was just the Chair, but given his long association with ME/CFS, he must be aware of the harm statements like that can do. This document was a chance to protect the many people developing post-covid-19 syndrome from hasty labelling with psychological diagnoses and treatment with GET. I haven't read the whole document but, given Esther12's quotes, I'm assuming that opportunity was missed.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I found that interesting too, Esther12.

This statement is based on this investigation:
    36 people, covering the general public, vulnerable people and people from Black and minority ethnic backgrounds spoken to over three days. That's not a very big sample for drawing conclusions about what people from BAME backgrounds, 'especially younger people', think. There's also, to me, a disapproving tone in the comment about what this small sample thought.

Chezboo, alktipping, Michelle and 6 others like this.