UK: Seminar: Employment and Long COVID syndrome

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Sly Saint, Mar 18, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mar 23 online

An overview of Long COVID and what to consider when returning to work - information for employees, managers, and health professionals.

By Fiona McKechnie (OT) North Bristol NHS Trust

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/empl...e-tickets-528205696457?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

bobbler and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I went through on the link to the more info pages: https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/our-services...service/employment-fatigue-pain-online-course

as it is an event in the future so not much info on what they say yet.

Given I always dread anyway what these things might say - whilst a lot was the standard stuff (ie legislation and how it stands re asking for anything) as were the suggestions, they weren't as bad as I thought it would be.

I guess the difficult caveat that as a community there seems to be a struggle to get understood in others is that there are different severities and so some might need a few days from home, changed hours, parking space or adaptations to office space but others could be in very different boats illness-wise.

Maybe that is just my experience but you do get quite a few laypersons with the horrid sentiment of 'if Bob can you can' or said in a back-handed bitchy way like 'well you've got to admire Sally for managing to do all of that charity work' from a neighbour when you want to explain you are severe and the neighbours are being noisy and Sally is now mild having had a neighbour who gave her peace and quiet when she was in a more severe situation and so how dare so and so infer 'motivation' is the difference.

Also people could be working above their health abilities and should be recognised for that rather than others taking advantage and saying well if you can do it once bla bla.

I do think the issue with this area is partly that a lot of people feel that they have the 'busiest lives' and 'so much to do' whether that is true or not, so in such an elbows out you make your own reality culture having a condition that actually affects overall energy is particularly vulnerable to others and colleagues and such other people's 'issues getting projected'

So the point towards the end of the first video that underlines that what isn't a fair reason for rejecting a requested reasonable adjustment is: 'it wouldn't be fair on others' [e.g. to allow homeworking or that person to opt out of late nights or picking up heavy things].

I don't think for ME/CFS that message gets through into people at all