Ultra-Processed Food: A Recipe For Ill-Health?

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting article about the BBC Panorama documentary that was broadcast last night.

"Ultra-processed convenience foods contain chemicals that UK regulators say are safe, but Panorama investigates emerging scientific evidence of a link between some of these chemicals and cancer, diabetes and strokes."

full article and link to Panorama prog
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65754290

2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chuckled a bit with this:

3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Flaming Nora, BBC! Could bears poop in the woods?

Whole thing's terrifying, though, specially for the millions who have no practical alternative but to eat processed foods as a significant part of their diet.

Arnie Pye, Wits_End, Michelle and 9 others like this.
  4. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

A large reason for why we need healthy convenience foods. If I didn't have someone who can cook for me when I'm not able to myself my nutrition status would be poor.

5. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The local butcher here makes homemade "stamppot". Think it's typically Dutch, but it's basically potatoes, some sort of vegetable, little bits of bacon and it mushed through eachother. Has a couple other relatively healthy dishes too that I can just pop in the microwave. All made from raw ingredients.

The stuff from the local supermarket however is complete garbage and tastes like it too. Always leaves me with a bad stomach.

Mostly my parents just cook though.

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure they are right, and it is very concerning, but all articles like this do for me is make me feel guilty that I'm not able to provide healthy freshly cooked meals all the time for my daughter.

7. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's very expensive to eat hea1thi1y in the UK (not sure about other countries). If you have a reasonab1e income there are more 'convenient' options becoming avai1ab1e (such as diced or prepared frozen organic fruit and veg), but definite1y not for those on a 1ow income.

In the UK the government is increasing1y forcing sing1e parents of not just primary aged chi1dren, but preschoo1ers and todd1ers (and the second 'caregiver' parent of a working 1ow income coup1e) into work. There seems no consideration given to how this saps any energy for preparing fresh food and providing good qua1ity parenta1 interactions to encourage hea1thy eating in young chi1dren. I'm sure this wi11 create a tsunami of hea1th and socia1 prob1ems in the years to come.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023