Understanding gene raw gene data - from rs numbers to genes (CYP2C19)

Discussion in 'Laboratory and genetic testing, medical imaging' started by daftasabrush, Mar 29, 2021.

1. daftasabrush

daftasabrush Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apparently most of the population have variants or absence of the CYP2C19 gene.

But how do I figure out from the raw genetic data (rs17878459 etc numbers, and alleles) which variants I do or don't have?

I'm working from SNPedia but usually it's just a case of checking the rs number, and looking for what the alleles are (like A , T or G, G). But this one has me confused - I can find several rs numbers that are relevant in my dates, all are homogeneous (same letters on the pair).
    Does this mean I do or don't have those variants? If the variant is not there eg for CYP2C19*3 does that count as an abnormality for this particular gene?

I am not sure what data would indicate
    "normal".

2. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The rs identification codes refer to variants only. A variant is something that only a minority of people have.

Amw66 and alktipping like this.
  3. daftasabrush

daftasabrush Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks, a bit of a fail on my part - I needed to see the pages for each variant eg rs12248560 page separately to see which are nonfunctional or problematic.

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

just came across this

Genetic Genie review - 7 facts you should know [DECEMBER 2021]
    https://nebula.org/blog/genetic-genie-review/

Peter Trewhitt likes this.