Protocol Understanding patterns of fatigue in health and disease: protocol for an ecological momentary assessment study using digital technologies 2024 Adam+

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, May 29, 2024.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Introduction
    Fatigue is prevalent across a wide range of medical conditions and can be debilitating and distressing. It is likely that fatigue is experienced differently according to the underlying aetiology, but this is poorly understood. Digital health technologies present a promising approach to give new insights into fatigue.

The aim of this study is to use digital health technologies, real-time self-reports and qualitative interview data to investigate how fatigue is experienced over time in participants with myeloma, long COVID, heart failure and in controls without problematic fatigue. Objectives are to understand which sensed parameters add value to the characterisation of fatigue and to determine whether study processes are feasible, acceptable and scalable.

Methods and analysis
    An ecological momentary assessment study will be carried out over 2 or 4 weeks (participant defined). Individuals with fatigue relating to myeloma (n=10), heart failure (n=10), long COVID (n=10) and controls without problematic fatigue or a study condition (n=10) will be recruited. ECG patches will measure heart rate variability, respiratory rate, body temperature, activity and posture. A wearable bracelet accompanied by environment beacons will measure physical activity, sleep and room location within the home. Self-reports of mental and physical fatigue will be collected via smartphone app four times daily and on-demand. Validated fatigue and affect questionnaires will be completed at baseline and at 2 weeks. End-of-study interviews will investigate experiences of fatigue and study participation. A feedback session will be offered to participants to discuss their data.

Data will be analysed using multilevel modelling and machine learning. Interviews and feedback sessions will be analysed using content or thematic analyses.

Open access, https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/14/5/e081416

Sean, Kitty, Peter Trewhitt and 4 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We need lots of studies establishing reliable approaches to this basic biometric recording and meaningful activity monitoring.

I have not looked at the details of this study, but the more we get away from questionnaires and look at objective data the better.

MeSci, NelliePledge, Sean and 3 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I don't have an in-principle problem with questionnaires (i.e. self-report).

But I have a major problem with how they are currently constructed, interpreted, and used, especially when used on their own in unblinded trials.

4. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If the wearable technology feels at all like a wristwatch I wouldn't be able to wear it for long, as watches irritate my wrist so much.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.