Unemployed could be given weight-loss jabs to get back to work, says Wes Streeting

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Oct 15, 2024 at 4:03 PM.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Health secretary announces trials to assess impact of medicines such as Ozempic on worklessness

A study by Health Innovation Manchester and the pharmaceutical firm Lilly would examine weight loss drugs’ impact on worklessness, said the Telegraph

The health secretary wrote: “Our widening waistbands are also placing significant burden on our health service, costing the NHS £11bn a year – even more than smoking. And it’s holding back our economy.

“Illness caused by obesity causes people to take an extra four sick days a year on average, while many others are forced out of work altogether.”

LINK

Lou B Lou and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ludicrous

EzzieD, alktipping, Lou B Lou and 2 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who's going to fund Ozempic? It's very expensive.

Perhaps they should start investigating why people have become mysteriously disabled in the last 4-5 years?

Starlight, EzzieD, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

If the NHS wants to offer weight loss jabs to the overweight, that's one issue. But why only to the unemployed? What if I'm employed and I'd like one but it's not on offer to me? It might lead to me feeling a tad resentful. What if I'm unemployed and refuse one? Will I be sanctioned or forcefully injected?

Is the study going to check the correlation (never mind causal link) between being a fat smoker and being unemployed before they start with the injections? Even if they prove that, giving the unemployed weight loss jabs will only solve half the problem - we'll have to pass a law to take their fags off them next. Probably best to remove their beer cans, crisp packets and arrange care for their pit bulls while they're at work as well. Will the study check whether the unemployment is due to companies refusing to employ the obese, or due to the obese being unable to waddle along to an interview? If that's the case surely we could provide them with mobility scooters? If motivation is the issue and we give them Ozempic, we'll just end up with a load of thin unemployed people sitting around at the taxpayers' expense. Plus there's a risk of obese people in employment quitting their jobs to get free Ozempic.

Has anyone thought this through? Jesus I'd expect this kind of stereotyping from Channel 4, but from a minister in a labour government? I think a more useful study would be to assess the impact of tools such as forceps in removing politicians' heads from up their arses.

Amw66, Kitty, Starlight and 4 others like this.
  5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know... I mean yikes. Was it Streeting that made some comment about 'work bringing freedom' as well? Not to be falling into an internet trope, but... if the cap fits... :eek:

:Dindeed.

Lovely to see you by the way Sam :hug:

Kitty, Starlight, TiredSam and 3 others like this.
  6. JemPD

Is funding coming from the DWP? ... another PACE?

bobbler, Kitty, Starlight and 3 others like this.
  7. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

:)

Kitty likes this.
  8. JemPD

oops no it wasnt, it was Mel Stride, from the party now in opposition. I hope this doesnt break the politics rule... they're all at it, have been for hundreds of yrs. Its equal opportunity ableism and loathing for the feckless scrounging lazy fat etc etc etc etc
    At this rate I'll be glad if we dont end up forced into job-centre CBT, forced medication - perhaps some kind of stimulant for us eh, rather than ozempic, since the GET didnt work, or the workhouse - which will be named 'Centre for Hope' or some such.
    It will definitely have a gate with an arch & an inspiringly chilling phrase written across it.