Uni of Glasgow: Inherited chromosomally integrated human herpesvirus 6 (iciHHV-6) in DecodeME [Analysis completion planned for end of Sept 2024]

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Andy, May 16, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

This is a study making use of samples collected by DecodeME, where participants agreed that samples could be shared with other researchers.

Summary - REQ001

Human herpesvirus 6A (HHV-6A) and 6B (HHV-6B) are two, closely related viruses that infect humans. We often refer to them collectively as HHV-6. These viruses have a unique ability to become a part of the host's DNA, specifically in a part called telomeres. In a small proportion of people, this integration into DNA is present in the germline and the virus is passed down from parents to their children. This is known as inherited chromosomally integrated HHV-6 (iciHHV-6). In the UK overall, about 1.4% of people have iciHHV-6 and in Ireland and Scotland this proportion increases to around 3%.

Recent lab data suggest HHV-6 reactivation might trigger ME/CFS, but larger studies are required to confirm the association with HHV-6 and iciHHV-6, the inherited form of the virus.

This project will test how common iciHHV-6 is among a sub-set of DecodeME volunteers (~4,500). The study also aims to see if there's a difference in iciHHV-6 frequency between ME/CFS patients who initially had symptoms suggesting an infectious disease and those who didn't.

https://www.decodeme.org.uk/data-access-study-req001/

Tapanui 'Flu, EzzieD, Tia and 29 others like this.
  2. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this looks like a very interesting study, and I like the fast timescale. Above all, having such a big cohort allows people to big studies to get robust answers.

The Glasgow University page says they need samples and data. Data I understand. As HHV6 is integrated, Presumably the DNA sequences will show whether or not somebody carries the virus.
    But why do they need samples? I think I’m missing something.

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

In order to detect the presence of HHV6, Glasgow Uni needed physical samples to test. A lot of the DNA samples have had material left over after sufficient is taken to sequence the DNA - we were able to ship this leftover material, where participants had given us permission to share with other researchers, to Glasgow so they could do their testing for HHV6. This leftover material is separate to the 50% of each sample given to us that we are holding in the hope of future whole genome sequencing, so it was making use of something that would have otherwise have been destroyed.

MrMagoo, jaded, Tia and 25 others like this.
  4. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. Great to know this was done using the Leftover material rather than eating into the 50% remaining from each original sample.

5. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if it will show anything, but it sounds worth investigating.

obeat, Peter Trewhitt, Andy and 14 others like this.
  6. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't remember if I gave permission to share with other researchers. I hope I did. This sounds like an interesting line of enquiry.

MrMagoo, Ash, Peter Trewhitt and 6 others like this.
  7. jaded

jaded Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Total n=1 experience here but my ME looked like it was triggered by a HHV-6 reactivation when I was 12 years old. I had a rash all over my torso (as is common with many viruses) but my local hospital at the time said it looked like roseola.

The same rash happened to me again when my ME further deteriorated from mild to moderate/severe at age 28. I also had chickenpox twice as a child which I thought was unusual but I might be wrong.

So essentially I’m glad it’s being looked into to see if it has any true relevance.

MeSci, Art Vandelay, MrMagoo and 7 others like this.
  8. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A possible involvement of Herpes viruses has been raised a number of times. I am not optimistic that this will give us answers to what is ME, but even a negative result will be a useful finding and help to direct future research.