University of Liverpool’s Doctorate in Clinical Psychology cock-up at conference

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just been reading about something that happened in Nov 2019 at the Group of Trainers in Clinical Psychology’s (GTiCP) 2019 annual conference.

This is a write-up from attendees:
    full blog here http://www.psychchange.org/racism-is-not-entertainment.html

and the subsequent apology:
    full statement here https://www.bps.org.uk/message-all-gticp-2019-conference-delegates

experts in human behaviour eh(?)
    [makes me think of the 'Day with the MUPPets']

2. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

lol

3. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Uh.........
    Appalling.
    Reprehensible.
    (I can't come up with additional publishable words about this. Among other questions - *Where*do these people grow up?)

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And Liverpool has always had such a high reputation on the subject of ME....

MEMarge and DokaGirl like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I can see the main distinguishing feature of a doctorate in psychology is that it is neither a doctorate in science (DSc) or a doctorate in philosophy (PhD, DPhil). Somebody must have realised that unlike all other subjects this one does not quite pass muster.

6. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

7. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It strikes me that the performers and the programmers both failed to consider their audience. I would not want to watch this over dinner at the end of a conference.

Perhaps if I'd bought a ticket to a programmed event for which I'd read the blurb and went in prepared... But not simply over dinner as part of a larger programme where the context is inappropriate.

It might also be an issue of Brazilian versus British experiences of race. 48% of Brazilians are of African descent, so they're not a minority in the same way the UK's 3% or so are. A black person in Brazil probably experiences blackness very differently to a black person in Liverpool. Perhaps the dancers didn't interrogate their ideas with this perspective in mind?

But I would ultimately blame the programmers. It's their job to pick what's appropriate and manage expectations. They failed to do that, clearly.

MEMarge, Trish, TiredSam and 2 others like this.