USA: NIH National Institutes of Health news

Discussion in 'News from organisations' started by Andy, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Transcript from your local fox:
    According to Dr. Nath, they have large volumes of research to publish from the ME/CFS intramural study, which is promising. The GWI study is already going which is excellent.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

A recording and transcript will be posted on the NIH website soon.

A few points I picked up:
    The 4 centres they funded a few years ago - Hanson at Cornell has renewed funding, the data center funding will soon be announced and for 2 more centers applications are still open, so presumably the other 2 current centers will be among the applicants.

The main talk was interesting hearing about the next stages of research they are doing and planning, but I think better to wait for the full version rather than trying to decipher my scrappy notes.

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I did make the webinar. 204 attendees, it will be recorded.

Some notes:
    Koroshetz had a conflict and couldn't make the call.

Vicky Whittemore: talking about the trans ME/CFS working group.
    Making a Roadmap, to assess what we know and don't know.
    Considerable efforts have been made to include people with lived experience in this
    There will be webinars from June that the public can participate in.
    They will be using a crowdsourcing tool to get input on research programmes
    There will be a draft report produced at the end of 2023 which will be presented to the NINDS council in Feb 2024
    There's an intention to fund an additional 2 collaborative research centres, as Trish said, in addition to Cornell, so presumably the existing centres will be applying, along with others
    A young investigator conference is being planned.

Dr Nath: intramural study and beyond
    The transcript of what he said is in a previous post
    They are planning clinical trials based on the observations from the intramural study

Joe Green of NIH, part of the ME/CFS working group
    Noted two areas of interest
    Microbiome - production of butyrate differs in ME/CFS.
    This was found by both the Columbia group (Lipkin) and Jackson Lab (Unamatz) - published papers
    Highlights pathways where there could be interventions

Post-exercise effects
    Cornell published two papers
    March 2023, Moore lead author, After exercise testing the healthy controls took 2 days to recover whereas the ME/CFS people took two weeks. Quantitative measurement of PEM may be possible?
    Small pilot looking at differences in urine metabolites. This will be followed up.

He encouraged people to visit the Data coordinating centre website, they are adding data all the time

NIH working Group is planning a meeting in December to talk about the status of ME/CFS research. It will be a public meeting with virtual access.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  5. Hutan

Dr Avik Roy and Dr Gunnar Gottschalk
    NINDS has just issued a research award for their work on ATG13 [so perhaps that tells us something about what the intramural study found?]

they collaborate with Dan Peterson at Incline Village and are based at the University of Wisconsin. The lab there at the Milwaukee campus is focused on biomarkers, animal models and drug discovery. There was talk of making use of the drug discovery expertise.

They have two areas of focus:

1.mTOR activation causing autophagy impairment
    There was a brief summary of their paper last year that found ATG13 consistently upregulated in people with ME/CFS. It was noted that the ATG13 was phosphorylated, and so, inactive.

There was a nice diagram showing that when MTOR is activated, it causes ATG13 to be phosphorylated, which inactivates it, stopping autophagy. When MTOR is not activated, ATG is not impaired and autophagy proceeds. Activated MTOR also affects other things, e.g. causing STAT3 to become phosphorylated, which affects IL6 and RANTES.

2. translation of this finding into a mouse model

There was a slide with a number of papers listed, with the suggestion that there are contributing factors. These are the papers:
    Mitochondrial toxicity - Hansen et all 2016
    Upregulations of inflammatory cytokines - Mandarin et al 2020
    Myelin abnormality - Morris and Maes 2013
    Autophagy impairment - Gottschalk et al 2022
    [I wasn't sure what to make of that list.]

For the animal model, they have three strategies
    a. drug-induced mouse model for PEM
    b. transgenic mouse model, where ATG13 function can be knocked out of specific tissues e.g. muscles, brain, peripheral nervous system
    c. virus induced or plasma infused mouse model

They have been working on a mouse model, using something called SIM501. [ I didn't pickup what that was.] After 5 days there were severe impacts on young female mice (it sounded as though older female mice weren't affected). There were some dramatic pictures of activity tracks. Before exercise the controls and SIM501 treated mice moved around their cage a lot. Then all the mice were exercised for 15 mins on a treadmill. All mice moved less the next day. But the SIM501 mice were still not moving the next day. After 14 days, the SIM501 mice had a loss of muscle mass and low growth. Their muscles showed waves consistent with a pattern called 'marching soldier', consistent with inflammatory demyelination. Increasing doses of SIM501 caused decreasing grip strength. There was massive infiltration of inflammatory macrophages into the muscles tissues, macrophages expressing CD40.

But the fatigue effect was transient. After a month, the mice no longer showed the PEM effect. Also the drug is not specific to ATG13, it affects other things too. [Like I said, I missed why they thought this drug might induce PEM. the slides showing differences were dramatic, but it may not have much to do with ME/CFS.]

Avik Roy thinks an MTOR modulator could improve the disease pathology. Rapamycin was mentioned. Some peptides could be designed to prevent disease progression in mice. There was a question about what might be causing the processes that affect ATG13 - Avik Roy said he didn't know.

There was a question about muscle biopsies, Roy said he was interested in those. Vicky Whittemore noted Cornell is currently recruiting patients for a muscle biopsy study. Roy said that he was very interested to see the tissue samples.

There was a question about the demyelination, what could be done to stop the process? [I don't think that we have proof of demyelination - it seemed to be just this mouse model created by injecting a specific drug into them.]. Avik Roy noted that there are drugs available for demyelinating diseases such as MS. He also commented that cinnamon has prevented myelin loss in mouse models - it sounded as though this was work that he had some involvement in.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  6. Hutan

Dr Nath was asked about the criteria used in the intramural study, the inference being that the MEICC criteria should have been used, and that there is too much focus on the one symptom of PEM. Nath replied that they applied several different criteria and that they were as sure as they could be that the participants had ME/CFS.

He also took a question about if muscle weakness is part of the illness. He commented that ME/CFS isn't muscle weakness, it is exercise intolerance, exhaustion after activity.

My overall impression was of activity and some enthusiasm from NIH for further work in ME/CFS. There also seemed to be a good emphasis on the participation of people with ME/CFS and carers in determining the path forward. Certainly the most positive NIH ME/CFS Working Group webinar that I have heard to date.

7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Hutan
    So very glad to read this. " It (ME/CFS) is exercise intolerance, exhaustion after activity". This is exactly how I experience ME. I have many symptoms but on any occasion when I am more active than I have energy for, I crash. There is never an exception. This gives me hope that it is ME that they have been studying and that something very useful will come out of it.
    There have been so many delays that it has been hard to have hope. I think I do now.
    I have skimmed today's posts but as a non scientist, I need help in understanding them. Thank you to those who are able to bring them to us with explanation.

8. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Muscle weakness is a cardinal feature of this illness for lots of us, though, even if it’s bundled in with “fatigue” to fit the criteria.

9. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed and certainly with time. But there is also the e.g. holding a phone is OK then arm begins shaking as those muscles get tired. As this seems to recover somewhat enough that phone can then be held again at another point in the future it is interesting if this is being studied separately. I couldn't be fully sure, even within 1 person nevermind across people whether one is interacting with the other or what (too much PEM --> downhill --> lower threshold/ muscle weakness issues interacting or something else). But glad that the old 'deconditioning' type hypothesis isn't the starting point given my experience has been the almost exact opposite to deconditioning where good muscle is made worse by keeping going on it.

10. belbyr

belbyr Established Member (Voting Rights)

Feels good to see some of this hard data come out. Who thought the NIH would be the ones to help CFS patients and researchers find some leads...

11. Hutan

12. Dakota15

Dakota15 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed, @belbyr. Who would've thought NIH & Mayo Clinic would be the ones to at least (finally) help drive some much-needed change (albeit after much patient advocacy).

In 2017, I got diagnosed with ME at the Mayo Clinic and (to me, at least) they hardly believed ME was a biological disease, or a serious one.

In 2023, a Mayo MD is presenting for World ME Day to our local patient community.

Progress can be a crazy thing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    Ash, alktipping, Binkie4 and 10 others like this.
  13. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

14. Hutan

15. belbyr

belbyr Established Member (Voting Rights)

16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved post

Key House Democrat demands NIH answer for pace of long Covid research
    https://www.statnews.com/2023/05/11/eshoo-nih-long-covid/

A powerful Democratic lawmaker is interrogating the National Institutes of Health over its slow progress in addressing long Covid, citing a recent STAT investigation into the agency’s lack of urgency.

Rep. Anna Eshoo, the House Energy and Commerce health subcommittee’s top Democrat, sent a letter to NIH acting Director Lawrence Tabak on Tuesday highlighting the agency’s delays in enrolling clinical trials, the lack of relief for patients, and the exclusion of long Covid from the White House’s Next Gen program to accelerate development of Covid-19 vaccines and treatments. The Energy and Commerce Committee is responsible for overseeing the NIH.

“Congress entrusted NIH with significant funding to provide relief to our constituents suffering from this life-altering disease, but so far, it hasn’t delivered that relief,” Eshoo wrote.

STAT and MuckRock’s investigation found the NIH’s $1.2 billion effort to study long Covid has yielded little useful information for patients, faced delays in starting clinical trials for treatments, generated controversy over the selection of exercise therapy as an area of focus, and is nearly out of money.

Eshoo is also requesting information about the NIH’s remaining budget on long Covid, plans for future spending, specific dates when the RECOVER initiative will start enrolling patients in clinical trials, and how treatments were selected to be tested in clinical trials.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2023
    Hutan, alktipping, cassava7 and 12 others like this.
  17. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will NIH Wait 40 Years to Try to Solve Long Covid as It Has With ME/CFS?
    Billions of dollars spent by NIH with no results and no accountability—who’s to blame? And why are Collaborative Research Centers for ME/CFS only now being created?

Will NIH Wait 40 Years to Try to Solve Long Covid as It Has With ME/CFS? (substack.com)

Ash, bobbler, Laurie P and 6 others like this.
  18. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh they could wait a lot longer than that.

The pace of science and technology will change this entirely, but I have zero doubt that if technology mostly stagnated overall, leaving medical science at about the stage we are in right now, they could go on failing for 500 years without any progress and find nothing wrong with it.

Fortunately technology progresses so fast that even though medicine is thousands of years old, computer science, not even a century old, will soon create technology that completely outperforms the entire medical profession, even on soft skills. Especially on soft skills. In the end all progress is technology, and it's going too fast to lead nowhere. But the profession has made its choice, and it's the same old: building a pipeline to shovel millions of people straight into the trash. As is tradition.

alktipping, obeat and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  19. ahimsa

NIH news release dated May 25:

Large study provides scientists with deeper insight into long COVID symptoms

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...tists-deeper-insight-into-long-covid-symptoms
    Edited to add a link to the thread where this study is being discussed -

https://www.s4me.info/threads/devel...-cov-2-infection-2023-thaweethai-et-al.33487/

Trish, Laurie P, RedFox and 7 others like this.
  20. ahimsa

I thought this news item about NIH was worth posting:

Thousands of early-career NIH researchers forming union for first time

Push for better pay and benefits among US scientists arrives at world’s largest biomedical funder.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-01845-w

I have idea what effect this will have on NIH research, if any.