Open Validation of Rest Inventory Questionnaire for adults with long term conditions with fatigue

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Dolphin, May 11, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[I haven't vetted this]

https://app.onlinesurveys.jisc.ac.uk/s/northumbria/rest-inventory-questionnaire-validation-study

Validation of Rest Inventory Questionnaire for adults with long term conditions with fatigue

I am inviting you to take part in a study to develop a new rest inventory measure for individuals with long-term conditions who are living with fatigue. The questionnaire was developed with individuals with long-term conditions and health professionals in the UK using a modified Delphi technique. This next stage is to further develop and test whether the questionnaire measures what it is supposed to and if it produces consistent result.

The study protocol was approved by the Northumbria University’s research ethics committee (reference: #3779).

Please read the Participant Information Sheet (PIS) to understand why the study is being done and what it will involve. See the link for the PIS: https://ibb.co/mTmbCdr

Peter Trewhitt and Sean like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen worse, but a lot of the questions have ambiguous framing or simply rephrase other questions in a different way, and no way are those are all equal in value, so when they add up to a score, interpretation is arbitrary.

I don't even understand how anyone thinks that this methodology produces valid questionnaires when they can't compare to real answers. It's exactly like the problem of taxidermists who never saw the living animal trying to make a model using only their skin. They never saw the real animal, they don't know what it looks like, how could they manage to build it right?! And they have the skin and drawings, here they don't even have that.

Frankly, I think that building such questionnaires using this methodology is invalid. You may as well just throw question cards down some stairs and rank them based on where they fall and you're likely to get similar results.

4. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

'My rest involves sitting/lying down'

Oooh nooo - My rest involves jumping up and down for 10 minutes, then running round the house shouting and waving my arms around. If I am seriously resting I'll sprint to the end of the road and back, then do it again and again.

Peter Trewhitt, RedFox, Sean and 4 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

This is just silly. What on earth useful information do they think they can get from a long list of sentences including the word 'rest', some of them sensible, some completely daft.

I assume they have designed some sort of grouping into symptom severity, behaviour, what you can and can't do, effect of rest, types of rest etc. But why?

Is this yet another PROM designed to jusify a rehab program?