Trial Report Videoconference-delivered group cognitive behavioral stress management for ME/CFS patients who present with severe PEM: a RCT, 2023, May

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Jan 25, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/21641846.2024.2306801

Videoconference-delivered group cognitive behavioral stress management for ME/CFS patients who present with severe PEM: a randomized controlled trial

Marcella May
    Sara F. Milrad
    Dolores M. Perdomo
    Sara J. Czaja
    Devika R. Jutagir
    Daniel L. Hall
    Nancy Klimas
    &
    Michael H. Antoni
    show less
    Received 03 Aug 2023, Accepted 15 Jan 2024, Published online: 25 Jan 2024

ABSTRACT
    Background
    In Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS), post-exertional malaise (PEM) is associated with greater distress and symptoms. Cognitive Behavioral Stress Management (CBSM) has demonstrated beneficial effects for ME/CFS and may mitigate stress-related triggers of PEM. We tested a virtual CBSM intervention to increase access, and we report on its effects on stress and symptoms in ME/CFS patients with severe PEM.

Methods
    Data were from a randomized controlled trial (NCT01650636) comparing 10-week videoconference-delivered group CBSM (V-CBSM, n = 75) to a 10-week Health Information active control (V-HI, n = 75) in Fukuda criteria ME/CFS patients (71 classified as highPEM, 79 lowPEM). Linear regression explored PEM-by-Treatment interactions on overall symptom frequency and intensity, perceived stress, and fatigue-specific interference and intensity, at 5-month follow-up. Logistic regression tested V-CBSM effects on 5-month PEM status. Analyses controlled for age, gender, race/ethnicity, mode of symptom onset, and time since diagnosis.

Results
    The sample was middle-aged (47.96 ± 10.89 years), mostly women (87%) and non-Hispanic White (65%), with no group differences on these variables or baseline PEM. For highPEM patients, V-CBSM (versus V-HI) demonstrated medium to large effects on follow-up symptom frequency, symptom intensity, fatigue interference, and fatigue intensity (p’s < .05) and trending to significant reductions in perceived stress (p = .07). Differences were not evident for lowPEM patients. Treatment predicted follow-up PEM status at a trend (p = .058), with patients receiving V-CBSM demonstrating half the risk of highPEM classification versus V-HI.

Conclusions
    V-CBSM demonstrates benefits for ME/CFS patients presenting with severe PEM and may reduce the expression of PEM over time.

Trial registration: ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01650636..

KEYWORDS:

Disclosure of interest
    Michael H. Antoni discloses that he is a paid consultant for Blue Note Therapeutics and Atlantic Healthcare, two digital health software companies. He is also an inventor of cognitive behavioral stress management (UMIP-483) and receives royalties for books, treatment manuals and other products associated with this intervention. The other authors declare no conflicts of interest.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I don't have access to the full paper. The abstract is very confusing.What do they mean by highPEM and lowPEM patients? And still using Fukuda criteria...
    If by high PEM they mean people who actually experience PEM, then only half the participants have ME/CFS by current research definitions.
    If they mean severe patients, then how can they cope with weekly group online training sessions without crashing?

They also seem to be clutching at straws in claiming benefits, with fudged reporting of p values and no mention of correcting for multiple comparisons and all the usual problems of unblinded and subjective outcomes.

Huge conflict of interest in a study run by someone who invented and makes money from the therapy.

What on earth is Nancy Klimas doing putting her name to this rubbish.

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Group video conferences cause PEM for me.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

5. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hm. Nice try I guess. Curious about the paper though.

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abbreviated Introduction —

7. SNT Gatchaman

Selected quotes from discussion (from a brief read) —

Peter Trewhitt, alktipping and Trish like this.
  8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

OK, so it's a badly written abstract that caused my confusion and rejection out of hand of this research. But I don't think there's evidence that learning to handle stress is the solution to ME/CFS. It may help some people to cope better, but it's not going to cure what I have. Even in my least stressed times, physical activity still makes me crash just as badly.

9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

that's what I wondered.

10. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks dit sharing the bits from the paper. It's what I suspected. It's obviously not as harmful as CFS PACE CBT. For some it might be helpful in regards of coping but other than that it seems they're also overstating what it can achieve. I guess it could be a lot worse...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  11. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

fwiw - A sampling of other publications Klimas has done with Antoni.

Perceived Fatigue Interference and Depressed Mood: Comparison of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Patients with Fatigued Breast Cancer Survivors
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26180660/

Stress management skills, neuroimmune processes and fatigue levels in persons with chronic fatigue syndrome
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22417946/

Cognitive-behavioral stress management intervention buffers distress responses and immunologic changes following notification of HIV-1 seropositivity.
    https://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037/0022-006X.59.6.906

Stress management interventions and psychosocial predictors of progression in HIV-1 infections
    Stress and immune function in HIV-1 disease

Peter Trewhitt, Trish and Sean like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Cognitive restructuring (i.e. modifying unhelpful thoughts)

Who decides what is an 'unhelpful thought'?

The sheer hubris required to be able make to claim about one's ability, given the overwhelming track record of its failure (and not just for ME), is unbelievable.

About as low a bar as it gets.

Milo, alktipping, MEMarge and 7 others like this.
  13. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this is a secondary analysis, is there a paper describing the analysis of primary endpoint? The way they’re slicing and dicing the sample in an arbitrary way and looking at interactions makes me think the primary endpoint was negative.

14. Sid

15. SNT Gatchaman

That trial protocol relates to the published Relationship satisfaction, communication self-efficacy, and chronic fatigue syndrome-related fatigue (2019, Social Science & Medicine)

The results are in the trial registration page. There are no publications listed currently, despite the 2019 paper above which states —

Perhaps they didn't "feel the need" to publish those null primary outcome results in a paper that people might read in J Psychosom Res :whistle:

alktipping, rvallee, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  16. Sid

17. rvallee

WTH is NINDS funding crap like this? They go around telling us they don't have money but then what little they do have they waste some of it on useless nonsense like this.

And doing a secondary analysis on a null result, about a long-debunked pseudoscientific approach no less, reeks of excessive bias, trying to salvage a result they expected and will find a way to promote no matter what.

Sean, alktipping, Amw66 and 2 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Denial is a hell of a drug.

rvallee, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  19. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was an earlier trial where they tested live and telephone CBSM for ME/CFS.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5270375/

Sid and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  20. rvallee

shak8, EzzieD, Sid and 1 other person like this.