We’re Thinking About Pain All Wrong, NYT

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, Dec 25, 2023.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Milo, DokaGirl, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you're in pain, they should just give you as much opioids as you need. It's better to be addicted to drugs than in intractable pain.

Kirsten, DokaGirl, Arnie Pye and 6 others like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take an opioid (Tramadol). I was prescribed a very high dose (up to 8 capsules per day) in the beginning, and I rapidly dropped the dose in the first month I took them. I can't remember the exact details now, but I ended up on 2 or 4 per day for quite a while. Then the pain got worse. I discussed raising my dose with a member of this forum who suggested to me that taking too high a dose of pain killers can make pain worse. So, I experimented and dropped my dose to 1 - 2 capsules per day and it helped a lot. I haven't taken more than two in a day for quite a few years now. I'm still prescribed 8 per day.

One problem I had with the Tramadol is that I didn't realise in the beginning that my doctor thought she had to treat occasional severe pain (that she obviously didn't really believe in), when really I had pain every day, all the time. It was a life-altering level of pain, but having the means to manage it myself allowed me to reduce it quite dramatically, and has improved my quality of life a lot.

5. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As with pain noted in the article, there is also othering done in searching for a harmful habit, that may have contributed to another's death.

Finding a suspected cause or causes of another's demise, that do not reflect our own lifestyle may falsely reassure us we are not at risk.

Michelle, Amw66, Sean and 3 others like this.