What would a good case study of recovery from ME/CFS look like?

Discussion in 'Other research methodology topics' started by Sasha, Jul 15, 2024 at 11:07 AM.

1. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Impressive individual cases of improvement or recovery can often be a starting point for hypothesis-generation and clinical trials in any disease.

In ME/CFS, the rituximab trial arose from observing impressive remissions in two PwME treated with rituximab for their cancer (IIRC). But lots of PwME have remissions following various interventions, but their stories don't lead to trials.

Suppose one of us had tried something out and had had a spectacular improvement. We'd surely want to share it and try to push for it to be researched. Presumably the first step would be to try to get written up as a case study. But what would make for a case study good enough to make it interesting enough to researchers to take it forward? What information would have to be in it for it to be taken seriously? How, in practice, would you have to do to get it into the medical literature?

Discuss! :)

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not a lot really. I published a case report of someone with arthritis getting better after rituximab. I had already decided to use rituximab bu the case was brought to my attention. There were no measurements before treatment - there aren't in this situation.So we just noted that the person felt better. It was published. But it needn't have been. If someone thinks they have seen a recovery following an unexpected treatment they can set up a pilot trial with actimeters or whatever. Nothing needs to be published to get that started.

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think ideally I'd want the person trying the treatment to be diagnosed by a reputable doctor, had ME/CFS of sufficient severity and duration to be more than a temporary post viral fatigue, do a 2 day CPET, then track their symptoms and activity using validated technology for at least 6 months while not doing any treatment. Then do the treatment, and continue tracking symptoms, activity and severity level for at least a year after treatment and do another 2 day CPET.
    Even then it would only be likely, not proven to be the treament that helped.

4. Sasha

Suppose, though, that you were the patient. You knew you were going to try an intervention and you had high enough hopes that it was going to work that you decided to start measuring some parameters, with a view to being an influential case study if it worked. What would you do? And if it did work, how would you get it published? Or at least get the right kind of information to the right researchers who might be interested in setting up a pilot trial?

5. Jonathan Edwards

But that's a trial, @Trish. A case report is where you get a result without having set out to do so.
    If we are talking of doing a trial you need a lot more than one case.

6. Jonathan Edwards

That's a trial again, and it needs controls and enough patients.
    For one person to do it would be hopeless. If they got better they would write to a journal but if they didn't they wouldn't - classic publication bias.

alktipping, Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  7. Trish

Interesting that Jonathan Edwards and my answers are so different.

I was answering from the perspective of seeing so many people claiming they have been cured by LP, ear seeds, supplement protocols etc. In order to weed those out we need better ways to verify whether there really is any evidence that sticking bits of gold plated tat on your ears, or standing on a paper circle and saying NO are effective or nonsense.

8. Trish

I agree that if a clincian is setting out to test a treatment, or to show it is effective, that is indeed a trial, and needs more than one patient and controls.

I was thinking from the perspective of a patient who wants to test a treatment on themself, but perhaps it's expensive, or may have side effects, like low dose naltrexone, or abilify.

I think if I wanted to find out for myself if it was really beneficial or I was kidding myself, I might do the sort of procedure I suggested above, with tracking for significant time before and after. Only then would I think it worth sharing with others that the treatment had or had not worked for me, and perhaps if the effect was dramatic, to push for funding for a proper trial.

Similarly if the initiative came from my doctor, and they suggested they might write it up as a case study, I might want to insist it be done as if in a trial rather than haphazardly, and if it failed, they write that up too.

9. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Admittedly I haven't read a lot of case reports, but I get the impression they focus on clinical observations that might be useful or important.

It could be a serendipitous response to treatment, a pattern of symptoms that suggest a familiar condition but turn out to be something else, or a previously unreported genetic finding.

They do all seem to be written by doctors, though that might only be because search engines tend to put the papers with most views at the top of the list.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. Sasha

We are oddly at cross-purposes! :)

This N=1 attempt would be a trial if it had controls and enough patients - but it's not a trial, it's a patient looking ahead before they try something and trying to get the best scientific use out of it.

How would this be different to Fluge and Mella's publishing their observation of their two ME cancer patients getting spectacularly better on rituximab?

Surely there's a way to do good hypothesis generation from observation of individual cases?

11. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be hard for an individual patient—there are so many people telling recovery stories that the auto-response is an eye roll. It might be different if several patients experienced a similar response, passed the information on, and others benefitted too. Then it might get published.

Maybe the best case scenario is that the first patient is managed by an interested doctor who thinks the result is plausible enough to put his or her name to it, and has enough credibility to get it published and noticed.

Credibility's probably the biggest hurdle, and some of it is as much about the author and their standing as it is about the contents of the paper.

12. Jonathan Edwards

I am afraid that is a trial. A trial does not have to have controls or more than 1 case. My initial rituximab trial had no controls and 5 cases. Because I had objective end-points it gave a reliable result. A trial can be done by non-medical people, including patients.

The problem is if various people try something and only those with success report. For Fluge and Bella nobody was 'trying something'. The observation was purely post-hoc. It is all to do with expectations. Confirmation of expectations is a different situation from noting something unexpected. The need for guarding against subjectivity in trials is a strange and complex thing. You do not need to blind for unexpected or negative results anything like as much. People are not biased to report those.

13. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it would require clinical verification of the ME symptoms before and after the treatment. Of course, we're still waiting for the means to measure ME symptoms reliably.

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  14. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No. IIRC they received cyclophosphamide PLUS ritux. Fluge went with trialing ritux before cyclo.

Disabled people going back to work would be good info “to be taken seriously”. See here (trial, not a case study).

https://www.s4me.info/threads/intra...-study-2020-rekeland-mella-fluge-et-al.14925/

alktipping, EndME and Peter Trewhitt like this.