Who Cares About Publication Integrity?, 2022, Grey, Avenell & Bolland

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by CRG, Nov 23, 2022.

1. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Scholarly Kitchen - Blog of the Society for Scholarly Publishing

Who Cares About Publication Integrity?

Editor’s Note: Today’s post is by Andrew Grey, Alison Avenell, and Mark Bolland. Andrew is a clinical endocrinologist and Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Auckland. Alison is a medically trained clinical biochemist and a Professor at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland. Mark is a clinical endocrinologist and Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Auckland.

"No one questions the critical importance of a reliable biomedical literature. Universities teach research integrity, publishers espouse it fulsomely, government agencies debate and endorse it. There are definitions, recommendations, and guidelines. Yet the cases described above are but a few of the many examples of the slow, opaque, inconsistent, frustrating, and unsatisfactory outcomes of tumbling into the rabbit hole of publication integrity. Watching paint dry is ultimately more fulfilling: at least the paint will be dry eventually. Why is achieving and maintaining publication integrity so fraught? Could it be that the main protagonists don’t actually care?"

More at: https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2022/08/18/guest-post-who-cares-about-publication-integrity/

Maat, Michelle, Sly Saint and 9 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks. I get the impression this is quite an influential site - I keep meaning to follow them more than I do.

Sean, Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.