1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Øystein Fluge and Olav Mella's ME/CFS research

Discussion in 'Science library (Read only)' started by Cheshire, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Rituximab (RituxME)

Clinical impact of B-cell depletion with the anti-CD20 antibody rituximab in chronic fatigue syndrome: a preliminary case series
    Øystein Fluge and Olav Mella
    BMC Neurology
    Link to article

Benefit from B-Lymphocyte Depletion Using the Anti-CD20 Antibody Rituximab in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. A Double-Blind and Placebo-Controlled Study
    Øystein Fluge, Ove Bruland, Kristin Risa, Anette Storstein, Einar K. Kristoffersen, Dipak Sapkota, Halvor Næss, Olav Dahl, Harald Nyland, Olav Mella
    Plos One
    Link to article

B-Lymphocyte Depletion in Myalgic Encephalopathy/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. An Open-Label Phase II Study with Rituximab Maintenance Treatment
    Øystein Fluge, Kristin Risa, Sigrid Lunde, Kine Alme, Ingrid Gurvin Rekeland, Dipak Sapkota, Einar Kleboe Kristoffersen, Kari Sørland, Ove Bruland, Olav Dahl, Olav Mella
    Plos One
    Link to article

Serum BAFF and APRIL Levels, T-Lymphocyte Subsets, and Immunoglobulins after B-Cell Depletion Using the Monoclonal Anti-CD20 Antibody Rituximab in Myalgic Encephalopathy/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
    Lunde S, Kristoffersen EK, Sapkota D, Risa K, Dahl O, Bruland O, Mella O, Fluge Ø
    PLoS One.
    Link to article

Clinical trial registration

B-lymphocyte Depletion Using Rituximab in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Myalgic Encephalopathy (CFS/ME). A Randomized Phase-III Study. (RituxME)
    Link to registration

Though the trial has not been published yet, the principal investigators, Fluge and Mella, announced that the results of the study were negative: see S4ME thread

Cyclophosphamide (CycloME)

Clinical trial registration
    Cyclophosphamide in Myalgic Encephalopathy/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) (CycloME)
    Link to registration

Immunity

Antibodies to β adrenergic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
    Loebel M, Grabowski P, Heidecke H, Bauer S, Hanitsch LG, Wittke K, Meisel C, Reinke P, Volk HD, Fluge Ø, Mella O, Scheibenbogen C.
    Brain Behav Immun.
    Link to article

Metabolism

Metabolic profiling indicates impaired pyruvate dehydrogenase function in myalgic encephalopathy/chronic fatigue syndrome.
    Fluge Ø, Mella O, Bruland O, Risa K, Dyrstad SE, Alme K, Rekeland IG, Sapkota D, Røsland GV, Fosså A, Ktoridou-Valen I, Lunde S, Sørland K, Lien K, Herder I, Thürmer H, Gotaas ME, Baranowska KA, Bohnen LM, Schäfer C, McCann A, Sommerfelt K, Helgeland L, Ueland PM, Dahl O, Tronstad KJ
    JCI Insight.
    2016 Dec 22

Link to article

Videos

Olav Mella speaks about the Rituximab study and ME/CFS future
    Link to video

The RituxME and CycloME studies – Ongoing Clinical Research in the ME/CFS Research Group

Link to video

From insight to change
    TEDxTrondheim
    Maria Gjerpe
    A medical doctor, Maria Gjerpe was part of a pilot Rituximab study by Dr. Fluge and Mella.
    Link to video
    S4ME thread

Podcast

Is ME an autoimmune disease?
    The Naked Scientists

Link to Podcast

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017