2024: NIH National Institutes of Health - ME/CFS Symposium on Intramural study - 2 May

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Dolphin, Apr 20, 2024.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't know which way he meant it, but I'd say that I fully agree with the more reasonable interpretation that we need better advocates within the medical profession and the academic community. We need more of them, and better ones. Which Long Covid has given us, but not nearly enough to overturn decades of pseudoscience and fairy tales.

I'm really not sure this is what he meant, but I agree with that characterization.

Missense, Solstice, tmrw and 10 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Criticism between academics is basically the norm. This isn't kindergarten, spit will fly and tempers will flare, this is all normal. In fact finding weirdly positive collegiality is basically a sign that things are, let's go with fucky.

I think that what they're not used to is laypeople giving them more substantial criticism than their own colleagues, who for the most part couldn't care less and so this is why it has generally not happened, at least not this openly. We have all the stakes. 99% of MDs couldn't be bothered to think about this for more than 30 seconds. This is a very unusual context, and they're just not used to it.

Missense, Sean, Starlight and 9 others like this.
  3. Eleanor

Eleanor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But Walitt says (copied from the EEfRT thread in the Research forum):
    (my bold)

I keep trying to understand what message they think they're conveying with the "effort preference" term, and why they don't seem to be worried by this constant switching between "it's involuntary, they're not choosing this" and "it's both conscious and unconscious choices".

Missense, Michelle, Solstice and 15 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably because that is the whole point of these terms. They are supposed to mean two different things to two different lots of people. Trouble is they forget which people they are talking to.

5. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is the term "preference" used in neuroscience/cognitive psychology/related fields to refer to an involuntary thing the brain chooses independent of its owner? Because for lay people, preference implies volition.

Missense, Amw66, Solstice and 11 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Preference can be used in a behavioural sense - 'the pigeons showed a preference for the red seeds'.

The interesting thing though is that effort is conscious. It isn't behavioural. It is voluntary. That to me means that effort preference has to be conscious, indeed self-conscious. And of course pacing is entirely conscious effort preference - which indicates the absurdity of deriving this concept as if it was independent of ability to do the task. Pacing is rational effort preference in response to accurate prediction of task failure. And their experiments don't even provide any convincing evidence of that because of the screwed up reward system.

Missense, Michelle, Solstice and 20 others like this.
  7. Evergreen

Evergreen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, the birds' preference makes sense.

They don't seem to agree that effort preference has to be conscious:

Missense, Solstice, Sean and 6 others like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, but their understanding of brains and minds is hopeless.
    A brain does not interpret anything as effort. A human subject does. As to what a human subject is that is a very tricky biophysical question that I could go on about for hours but it ain't a brain. Brains don't make decisions either. This is ludicrously noddy-type language dreamt up to sound to the general public and gullible colleagues as if psychologists that have miraculously become neuroscientists know what they are talking about when they haven't a clue.

If we aren't aware of processes happening then there is going to be b***** all we can do about them!!

Missense, ukxmrv, Michelle and 13 others like this.
  9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Oh, there's no expectation of us deluded souls fixing ourselves. That's what the professionals are for. I'm sure there are platoons of nice ladies with blue cardigans standing by to follow a manual written by Walitt, White et al, to cure us of our lack of self-awareness and faulty effort preferences.

FMMM1, Solstice, Sean and 6 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Ah, do they still wear those nice blue cardigans? Cashmere? With a nice silk neck scarf, loosely tied?
    I could try it!

I fear the gear might have changed tho.

FMMM1, Trish, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  11. Laurie P

Laurie P Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If that's how he meant it, he should have been calling out the BS at the symposium and his colleague Mady Hornig should have called it out in the press. Lipkin should be calling out his other colleague Komaroff for Komaroff's constant fence straddling career including promoting the most resent NIH BS.

Missense, Michelle, Lou B Lou and 7 others like this.
  12. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe Dr. Walitt is more careful to be subtle now in voicing his beliefs.
    Here, a 2016 interview about FM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGOZ-Rfcjmc

See minute 7:03

Question: what is fibromyalgia?
    Walitt says essentially that FM is how people experience suffering in their lives.

Missense, Solstice, Lou B Lou and 6 others like this.
  13. Laurie P

https://twitter.com/user/status/1771927407370649800

Todd Davenport
    @sunsopeningband

Hey @NatureComms. When will you explain why your editors think it’s acceptable for Dr. Anthony Komaroff to be listed as participating as a case adjudicator, acknowledged as providing helpful comments on the manuscript, and listed as a peer reviewer of the Walitt et al study?

11:49 AM · Mar 24, 2024 · 8,040 Views

--------------------

Is chronic fatigue syndrome all in your brain?
    An NIH study expands on a body of research locating objective markers of ME/CFS in the brain, the immune system, the gut, and beyond.

February 28, 2024 By Anthony L. Komaroff, MD, Editor in Chief, Harvard Health Letter

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-all-in-your-brain-202402283020

The page won't let me copy and paste and I'm not up to transcribing.

Edited to add that I was able to copy and paste later and I copied quotes below.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
    ukxmrv, Lilas, Lou B Lou and 4 others like this.
  14. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

In the closing credits of that Walitt video is
    "DISCLOSURES
    Dr. Walitt has no financial conflicts with industry."

Screen Shot 2024-05-04 at 9.52.53 am.png
    Which is a strange way to state things. It makes it sound as though he is financially aligned with industry.

I didn't realise that he is a physician. The thought of him treating someone with fibromyalgia, or anything much, with the attitudes he has is horrifying.

Missense, ukxmrv, Lilas and 9 others like this.
  15. Laurie P

I can copy and paste now. I'm not sure what happened earlier.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2024
    Lilas, shak8, Trish and 2 others like this.
  16. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And indeed in the "Deep Phenotyping" paper the NIH also identified "many other brain abnormalities" but they're just not gonna talk about those because they don't fit with the bias and preconceived explanation.

Missense, Michelle, Lilas and 10 others like this.
  17. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

These guys wouldn't last 5 minutes at your average maths or physics conference.

They really can't handle the fact that supposedly incompetent delusional unqualified patients have outargued them, and exposed just how clubby, incompetent, and reform resistant medicine can be, and how utterly ruthless in preventing that story being told to the world.

But they think we are weak hysterical snowflakes, incapable of facing reality? It is beyond parody.

Last edited: May 8, 2024
    Missense, Lilas, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  18. Laurie P

240502_NIH_Symposium_Nath.png

shak8, Lou B Lou, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  19. butter.

butter. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am not sure in which way he meant it, but, I agree with it universally: to assert that advocates are not doing a good enough job, including patient advocates, is not victim blaming, it's a realistic look at what is happening and at what needs to change, despite or because of patients' physical and mental limitations. It's about finding better workarounds and asking charities with paid employees to do a better job. It's naive to think that the medical complex will start being 'good advocates' for ME without providing an incentive to do so. We have to do a better job to make them better advocates for us.

SNT Gatchaman, Lilas, Comet and 2 others like this.
  20. Turtle

Turtle Established Member (Voting Rights)

In reply to (only part of) the question @andrewkq had asked Walitt hangs his head in the noose. He calls it volitional.
    The brain of a pwME signals and "Brian" construes it into volition.
    Before I thought he wanted to spare pwME by pointing to TPj, the patients can't help it, but here he shows his true colours.