A Case Report on Care-Seeking Type Illness Anxiety Disorder after COVID-19 Infection, 2023, Kasi, Lakshmi S. and Moorthy, Bini

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by SNT Gatchaman, Dec 29, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A Case Report on Care-Seeking Type Illness Anxiety Disorder after COVID-19 Infection
    Kasi, Lakshmi S.; Moorthy, Bini

This case report highlights the diagnostic challenges presented by the overlapping symptoms of illness anxiety disorder (IAD) and long COVID-19 (LC-19). This case report focuses on a 58-year-old woman with care-seeking type IAD in the context of LC-19-associated symptoms. The patient experienced mild COVID-19 in August 2021. Since then, she has reported an increase in LC-19-associated symptoms, including cognitive deficits, breathlessness, fatigue, and anosmia. Despite largely normal laboratory results, imaging, and physical examinations, the patient’s distress and care-seeking behaviors persisted, resulting in the diagnosis of IAD.

Accurately differentiating between LC-19 and IAD is crucial for appropriate patient care. We discuss the importance of recognizing and treating IAD in patients with LC-19-associated symptoms and the need for further research on the correlation between IAD and both COVID-19 and LC-19.

Link | PDF (Case Reports in Psychiatry)

2. SNT Gatchaman

IAD -> JFC :banghead:

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Ugh just ugh

4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

poor woman. as if normal lab findings didnt also happen in LC
    Fool. Seems she's read about 3 accounts of LC, i've seen loads of people say they cant cook or do other ADLs & dont feel safe to drive. vision disturbance is really common in ME.

It really pisses me off that these thickos who know nothing get to pronounce over us with such authority.

Edit: to correct an error i made in gender of the author & also i missed out the word 'say' ... "i've seen loads of people say they cant cook". I ahvent seen anyone with LC, i have seen them reporting that symptom

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
  5. SNT Gatchaman

6. SNT Gatchaman

Oh and also, they're serial offenders: Case Report: Somatic-Type Delusional Disorder (2023, poster)

7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. :thumbup:

8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the article: "Despite largely normal laboratory tests...

What were the abnormal test results? Presumably they were not significant. Although I had a couple significant immune system test results that were said to be normal, that were definitely not.

And, as had been noted before, regular run of the mill tests for ME, and LC are often normal. Searching deeper has found abnormalities for both ME, and LC.

9. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Psychotherapy and medication adherence are challenging in patients with somatic-type delusional disorder since they do not believe they are delusional and do not see why they would need to be treated for delusional disorder.

Spot the flaw in the reasoning.

10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ahh.... thanks for correcting me, i have edited my post accordingly

11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Given the increase in health costs associated with long COVID this will gain ground.

12. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Somehow I keep seeing entirely new terms for the same old stuff. Illness anxiety disorder is a new one for me, although there are several nearly identical series of words amounting to the same idea. Today I saw neuroplastic disorder as a replacement term for Central sensitivity syndrome. I'm pretty sure I saw one or two more in the systematic review on hypnotic treatment for FND. And, oh, look at that, there's another one in another paper from the same authors quoted above: Somatic-type delusional disorder. Because why the hell not?

By now there must be well over 50. Maybe even more. We could even be above 100 at this point. And they're all literally what Humpty is to Dumpty. It's amazing what goes on in, frankly I think this deserves to called mass delusion. Ironically.

It's really wild that this case study is entirely based on the ignorance of the clinicians, and the very definition comes from their own inability to understand, it's illness defined on what the clinicians perceive, not what is happening to the patients. What they don't know simply can't exist. This case is actually very typical of LC, but because of whatever alternative notion they have of LC, they don't see it, while this same old mythical made-up stuff fits the bill as long as you don't think about it for a single second. Amazing. It explains so much about human history that this can go on this late in our development.

13. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This abuse will continue until we have a laboratory test.

DokaGirl, Sean, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  14. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would argue we have clear evidence for the presence of ‘delusional disorder’ under the authors’ definition. On the part of the authors, that is. What is worrying is that we are also seeing clear examples of social transmission through research literature and academia.

DokaGirl, Sean, JemPD and 7 others like this.
  15. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

or they outlaw bigotry propaganda pretending to be an academic area and just say it is hate speech with nutty manifestos being written to pretend it is justified instead of deluded rantings

there used to be or maybe there still is 'eugenics studies' and specific areas with just as nonsense 'science' pretending to back up ideas of other bigotries being somehow 'justified' by coming up with pretend correlations and fake biased tests. SO there is precedence for people knowing what all of this really is and I do not get why people want to play into the charade 'it's help' my backside

DokaGirl, Sean, Amw66 and 1 other person like this.
  16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Including the inability for the deluded to see that they are deluded, to insist that they are not. The projection is very strong here. The self-awareness, on the other hand, entirely missing.

DokaGirl, Sean, JemPD and 5 others like this.
  17. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

what nasty, odious, ignorant (and determined to forever stay ignorant by the looks, seeking out nonsense to ensure they don't have to read science that might get in the way of their making up stuff) pieces of work.

Shouldn't allow people like this into professions like medicine or anywhere there will be people who are basically vulnerable power-wise without supervision from others who are sensible independents monitoring them. ANd I'd suggest some serious training in bigotry issues.

And that's kind because if it were down to me the consequences of their propaganda and decisions over others logged for a court of law where they are held responsible for the cascade of impacts that they cause