A Key Biological Pathway for Multiple Sclerosis Is Uncovered by Mount Sinai Researchers

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, May 10, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cross-talk between brain cells and peripheral immune cells can modulate the progression of multiple sclerosis (MS), Mount Sinai researchers have discovered. Their findings reveal a previously unknown way in which the brain and immune system talk to each other and may identify a new therapeutic target for MS and other brain disorders.

In a study published May 8 in the journal Immunity, the team described how the inflammatory protein interleukin-3 (IL-3) coordinates that cellular communication and incites the recruitment of immune cells from the blood to the brain, exacerbating brain inflammation and worsening MS pathology.

https://www.mountsinai.org/about/ne...rosis-is-uncovered-by-mount-sinai-researchers

2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this sort of thing—immune cell signalling, mediated by the brain—is probably my favourite candidate for a grand theory of ME. It could explain the brain issues/inflammation, immune dysregulation, peripheral nervous system involvement, and potentially link with cellular metabolism if these signals are slowing it down.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  3. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’d have hoped that Mount Sinai researchers would be able to come up (or down) with some actual tablets.

4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. The Canadian Consensus Criteria notes findings of demyelination or edema on MRI brain scans of pwME.

Page 18 of the CCC Overview: "MRI brain scans: Elevated numbers of of punctuate lesions, particularly in frontal lobes and subcortical areas, suggest demyelination or edema...."https://www.mefmaction.com/images/stories/Overviews/ME-Overview.pdf

It would be interesting to do a comparison study of MS and ME, MRI brain scans.

5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:rofl:

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Up/down to your usual standard :whistle: