1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Lyme disease vaccine has been developed

Discussion in 'Infections: Lyme, Candida, EBV ...' started by MeSci, May 27, 2018.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Source: Harpers Bazaar
    Datd: May 27, 2018

URL:
    https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/guide/a20925335/a-lyme-disease-vaccine-has-been-developed/

Ref:
    http://www.valneva.com/download.php...3_29_Valneva_World_Vaccine_Congress_PR_EN.pdf

A Lyme disease vaccine has been developed
    -----------------------------------------

The first vaccination to prevent people from catching Lyme disease has been developed in the UK. Manufactured by pharmaceutical group Valneva, the vaccine has successfully passed human clinical trials, and will be available on the NHS for anyone over the age of 2.

Spotlighted by model Bella Hadid, who is a sufferer, Lyme disease can be a debilitating illness, which if left untreated can lead to heart problems, arthritis and even paralysis. It develops after a bite from an infected tick, which leaves a red bulls-eye type mark. Symptoms include chronic fatigue and exhaustion, with Hadid revealing that she had to give up her dreams of being an Olympic showjumper after being diagnosed with the disease.

Other famous people with Lyme disease include Hadid's mother Yolanda Foster and brother Anwar, as well as Ben Stiller, Shania Twain and Alec Baldwin.

The disease has been on the rise in the UK, with recent data showing that twice as many ticks carry it than just 10 years ago. It is the most common tick-borne illness in the northern hemisphere, with 600,000 cases every year, 3000 of those in the UK.

Each vaccination has to be specific to the ticks in that region, so the UK vaccine will not help prevent you catching it in the US. A previous vaccination was piloted in the USA in the early 2000s but was taken out of circulation after being incorrectly linked to arthritis.

2. Helen

Helen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting with a vaccine, but I think everyone should know that a bull-eye type mark is not at all present in all cases. It has been discussed if a reaction like that is less common in PWME.

IF there is a mark, it may also look quite different than a typical bulls eye. I´d recommend you, who dare to, to google pictures.

As we know there are also quite a few co-infections that might be transmitted by the tick. I had two of them beside a Lyme infection, as an example. But of course it´s great if a vaccine protects from at least getting Lyme.

3. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is quite interesting.

Esther12 and MeSci like this.
  4. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Correct. And I believe more often than not there is no mark let alone a bulls-eye.

Yup.

Helen likes this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

bit odd comms strategy for this the only info I could find were this Harpers article and one in the Telegraph behind a paywall

ETA: is this published in a scientific journal or is there a press release

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Invisible Woman and Esther12 like this.
  6. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All I know is that according to the pdf "there can be no assurance that the forward-looking statements made during this presentation will in fact be realized."

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

http://www.valneva.com/en/rd/vla15

Invisible Woman, MeSci and Esther12 like this.