1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A review of cytokine-based pathophysiology of Long COVID symptoms 2023, Low et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Sly Saint, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Long COVID/Post Acute Sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) group includes patients with initial mild-to-moderate symptoms during the acute phase of the illness, in whom recovery is prolonged, or new symptoms are developed over months. Here, we propose a description of the pathophysiology of the Long COVID presentation based on inflammatory cytokine cascades and the p38 MAP kinase signaling pathways that regulate cytokine production.

In this model, the SARS-CoV-2 viral infection is hypothesized to trigger a dysregulated peripheral immune system activation with subsequent cytokine release. Chronic low-grade inflammation leads to dysregulated brain microglia with an exaggerated release of central cytokines, producing neuroinflammation. Immunothrombosis linked to chronic inflammation with microclot formation leads to decreased tissue perfusion and ischemia.

Intermittent fatigue, Post Exertional Malaise (PEM), CNS symptoms with “brain fog,” arthralgias, paresthesias, dysautonomia, and GI and ophthalmic problems can consequently arise as result of the elevated peripheral and central cytokines. There are abundant similarities between symptoms in Long COVID and myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

DNA polymorphisms and viral-induced epigenetic changes to cytokine gene expression may lead to chronic inflammation in Long COVID patients, predisposing some to develop autoimmunity, which may be the gateway to ME/CFS.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmed.2023.1011936/full

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's got all the buzzwords. But there's nothing in the abstract that makes me think this paper is any different to the dime a dozen papers waving generally in the direction of inflammation. If anyone reads the paper, maybe they can tell us if there's anything new here.

(I might be being unfairly dismissive; I'm just sick of people building hypotheses on underpowered and often just straight out wrong reports about cytokines and other stuff.)