1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A transdiagnostic and biopsychosocial-informed perspective across functional seizures and functional movement disorder, Saxena and Perez, 2021

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I can't access the paper, but my money would be on ME being something they consider a FMD.
    Paywall, https://www.epilepsybehavior.com/article/S1525-5050(20)30929-X/fulltext

Michelle, Wyva and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Huepe-Artigas and colleagues offer( important )observations on similarities and differences between patients with functional motor disorders (FMD obvious typo it should read as unimportant .

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is one of those papers that typifies how some research is only needed because of issues which only exist as a result of serious flaws in the basic premise.

One of the core tenets of FND is that it is a single disease caused by emotional problems disturbing brain function which changes because of brain plasticity.

The different presentations of disease, interstitial cystitis, IBS, seizures, dystonia and so on are because the brain has met them before so uses these old pathways or because they served as an emotional crutch or something. It is difficult to work out exactly what they are trying to say beyond the fact it happens.

Since all these things are one disease there should be no difference between the pathology of seizures or movement disorders.

is a blow to the theory.

Michelle likes this.