Abnormal Glutamatergic and Serotonergic Connectivity in Visual Snow Syndrome and Migraine with Aura

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Hoopoe, Oct 19, 2023.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Our results show that glutamate and serotonin are involved in brain connectivity alterations in areas of the visual, salience, and limbic systems in VSS. Importantly, altered serotonergic connectivity is independent of migraine in VSS, and simultaneously comparable to that of migraine with aura, highlighting a shared biology between the disorders.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ana.26745

Ash and Midnattsol like this.
  2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Interesting. I have both, or I did growing up now I just have the snow. Before the migraines disappeared completely they changed from being aura + pain to just aura.

Ash and Thruglassesdarkly like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd never heard of Visual Snow Syndrome before. Once between the ages of 5 and 7 I experienced what I described as 'cotton wool' across my field of vision, and I was terrified and had to sleep in the bed of my aunt and uncle for the rest of the night. I am pretty sure I was OK in the morning. I recall struggling to find my way around. It sounds like it could have been VSS.

I had recently suffered bad chickenpox followed by Bell's Palsy which did not fully recover. I had also had to move out of my family home due to my mother being terminally ill.

Ash and Trish like this.