Acupuncture and other traditional Chinese medicine news and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by TrixieStix, Nov 16, 2018.

1. LJord

LJord Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So I’ve never heard anyone claiming acupuncture as a cure. I do go to an acupuncturist and have a heart monitor on. I’ve noticed that my heart rate drops during and for a short time after. Not a cure but not nothing either.

Joan Crawford, MEMarge, JemPD and 3 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The funny thing about that is that it's the same story as the "brain retraining" folks, so it's exactly the same as the entire biopsychosocial approach, just replace a few things that make no difference.

Congrats on our BPS overlords for being identical to this crap. You deserve it in full.

3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She's been reading all the M.E terminology on social media and pitching it on her Instagram account. Ear seeds treating everything from weight loss, migraines, depression et which is what everyone is doing these days on Instagram.

Her story after being dx with 'moderate' CFS/ME.
    Link

Are there even doctors actually diagnosing their pts with mild, moderate or severe m.e???

4. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I stopped having acupuncture treatments because the results I'd have after sessions were inconsistent, but I'll never forget the 1st session. I went into a profoundly relaxed state and saw in my mind's eye a train in India with passengers who were all cows and humans who were providing services to them. It sounds so much like a Far Side cartoon that it was probably one I had seen and forgotten about, but it was still very entertaining.

6. Lou B Lou

Joan Crawford and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Lou B Lou

And she's in The Sun Newspaper - milking the publicity from Dragons Den

'WOND-EAR-FUL
    Who is Giselle Boxer and what does her company Acu Seeds make?
    She was once told by doctors that she would never work again or have children.'

'"My own recovery from ME through these methods motivated me to create Acu Seeds and offer these benefits to others seeking holistic wellness."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/25403342/who-giselle-boxer-acu-seeds-dragons-den/

Joan Crawford and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Adam pwme

10. Adam pwme

11. Lou B Lou

It is just sickening and deeply disturbing that the Dragons Den fell for Giselle Boxer's Acu Seeds scam - hook line and sinker! And the viewers did too - they've gone all gooey about the program and about Giselle Boxer's presentation. They thought she was the real deal, not just an accomplished saleswoman.

That they are scientifically illiterate, have fallen for a commercial scam, have sold millions of disabled ME sufferers down the river - means nothing to them!

All they cared about was her slick and emotive presentation. They thought she was genuine! Dear god help us.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001vfsz

@dave30th - please watch this - it's a hugely popular UK TV program that has just done ME sufferers over.

Giselle Boxer in today's The Sun newspaper:

"My own recovery from ME through these methods motivated me to create Acu Seeds and offer these benefits to others seeking holistic wellness."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/25403342/who-giselle-boxer-acu-seeds-dragons-den/

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its the UK equivalent of Shark Tank

Peter Trewhitt, shak8 and Lou B Lou like this.
  13. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I cant bring myself to watch it, but is ME presented as a serious condition that Drs said she'd never recover from? (despite being able to be cured by acupressure)

14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

She was once told by doctors that she would never work again or have children.

Want some hard evidence for that. If anything in the UK she was most likely told that she just needed some CBT and GET, and that recovery was possible, with the right attitude, of course.

15. Lou B Lou

Giselle Boxer buys the ear seeds for £3 and sells them for £30. There is a word for that. Daylight robbery. Profitable snake oil. And other words that are censored.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  16. Lou B Lou

17. Mij

Oh boy, looks like it's the year of ear treatment for pwM.E! New name same person?

'28 years of relapsing-remitting incurable condition #ME Have been wearing this since 9am and can’t begin to tell you the difference it has made'.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1748281480822788280

mango, RedFox, Fainbrog and 4 others like this.
  18. Mij

Oh, it was meant as sarcasm after I read the thread :laugh:

19. Lou B Lou

That thread by Kirsty Schnickelschticker and the replies are hilarious - a humorous send up.

mango, Joan Crawford, bobbler and 8 others like this.
  20. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hard to see how this doesn't quickly get slapped down by the advertising authority, especially claiming it for a number of conditions.

Then again all she has to do is get some MDs to join in on it and get an EBM paper published about it and it all works itself out. The grift has been perfected, and it's not as if this is any different from the usual BPS stuff.