Acupuncture and other traditional Chinese medicine news and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by TrixieStix, Nov 16, 2018.

1. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sounds like the Intellectual Property department has a blog that I guess is scanning issues to do with the areas as topics for discussion/helpful ways of clarifying rules etc in the area by them being put into context?

As an aside, one of the unfortunate lose-lose situations for ME this has also reminded me of is that of if she is a 'scammer' or something 'bad' then it still plays into allowing those-who-choose-to-stigmatise-ME's charter of lies/reasons as to why it is 'deserved'. They dredge up claims of 'old days where there were apparently, in their head, people who got to retire or get off work because it couldn't be proven bla'.

Noone with other illnesses or diseases have this catch 22 where even if there were blatant scammers who never had it - and there are some, one who seem to have an early career in MLM schemes before apparently getting ME springs to mind - would tar other patients with the brush and infer it is a sign of how 'fakeable it is' (so they can see why the harmful guidelines etc) without blaming that on the deliberate set-up of those who were allowed to be in charge (or asking if it is a self-claim/diagnosis/straight-up lie) rather than suggesting it means 'plague on all pwme's houses'. And we can say some of those have tests or pathology, but ME isn't that hard to spot when it is bad if they tried and more importantly noone is checking references on other illnesses it is just if they did lie about cancer people would say that person who lied was immoral with no conversation about 'the illness being open to it'.

whilst I'm not 100% sure whether this lady falls into the 'deliberate scammer box', rather than the 'deluding herself (feeling like she can beat it short term) and will get lots of payback exertion-wise it just hasn't hit her yet' or the 'one of the more fortunate who recovered after what seems a long time to them but is a short time for 'ME' of a year and that topic has been badly covered by press/guidelines/charities etc - particularly as it relates to being able to get advice and change life quickly to get more rest, and so if she saw that message as part of the healing it would change things significantly for patients'.

This whole thing is quite interesting for the various conversations that we perhaps need to have as a community (so we can maybe nail a few of these things) it is bringing up.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
    JohnTheJack, Mij, JemPD and 4 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Just in case it might help anybody in the same situation, I came up with this wording - feel free to copy or adapt as might be useful.

"Many thanks for the link, I appreciate that despite everything you have going on you took the time to send it through. In the ME/CFS community we are used to seeing this sort of thing crop up from time to time, where somebody who improved attributes their improvement to whatever they happened to be doing at the time. The truth of the matter is that many people early on do naturally recover, even if that recovery takes longer than what society considers normal. It's a shame that this will attract as much publicity as it already has, and that desperate patients will, most likely, waste their money on it. Sorry that is such a downbeat response but I really do appreciate that you shared it with me."

Sid, rainy, Arnie Pye and 27 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

RedFox, bobbler, EzzieD and 12 others like this.
  4. MarkRichardson

MarkRichardson New Member

Immediate results for sleep? How immediate? LOL

Missense, Fainbrog, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Found in the comments. I hadn't bothered to look whether there was, uh, "research" backing this but, yeah, of course there is, and it's similar to the usual biopsychosocial drivel: https://acuseeds.co.uk/blogs/articles/what-are-ear-seeds-and-how-do-they-work.

You could easily cook up some systematic review with about the same low-quality moderate-bias potential for shmaybe effectiveness in some and make it recommended since there is no evidence of harm. Right up Cochrane's alley, apparently it's their business model these days.

6. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the comments
    I do admire CF's endurance, forever responding to this never ending stream of BS

7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Lou B Lou

Lou B Lou Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1748884508911206574

Tweet:
    'More evidence of Acu Seeds Scamminess. Giselle flogging them at the Soul Circus Festival, claiming success curing everything, the Hallmark of Heath Scams. "Saw some amazing immediate results for back pain, knee pain, bloating, sleep, migraines and more"

RedFox, bobbler, EzzieD and 6 others like this.
  9. Lou B Lou

bobbler, EzzieD, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Yes, yes, yes. All very interesting. But can she realign my Chakras with the Eternal Cosmic Oneness? It takes a properly qualified charlatan to do that.

Sid, Amw66, bobbler and 10 others like this.
  11. MBailey

MBailey Established Member (Voting Rights)

12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From an Action for ME tweet

"We have coordinated an open letter with other M.E. orgs in response to the recent Dragons Den episode in which a contenstant made unevidenced claims regarding the efficacy of 'acu seeds' as a treatment for #MECFS You can view the letter here: https://ow.ly/qs3M50Qt12L"

"The letter has been sent to the Chair of the Culture, Media and Sport Committee and the Chair of the Health and Social Care Committee. Our Chief Executive, Sonya Chowdhury, also wrote directly to the Director-General of the BBC last Friday to voice concerns over the episode"

Sean, Amw66, bobbler and 12 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Excellent lettter from MEAction UK to the BBC. Thank you @MBailey.
    And many thanks to Action for ME for taking action too.
    It's horrifying seeing the BBC being used to promote a scam perpetrated on seriously ill people.
    I hope the BBC issues an apology and withdraws the program from iplayer.

Sean, Amw66, bobbler and 13 others like this.
  14. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Extraordinary article in today's Independent. It's a 1st person account 'As told to Zoe Beaty'.
    Sorry I'm not able to post it here, perhaps someone else can?

bobbler and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

MEMarge, Sean, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  16. Lou B Lou

On the 19th January A person called *Jason Bartlett* became a Director of Giselle Boxers company (which is called East Healing Ltd) which markets Acu Seeds

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/14332155/officers

Jason Bartlett is also a Company Director of the Dragon's Den star Steven Bartlett's company called 'Steven Bartlett LTD'.

https://find-and-update.company-inf...cers/mI-nXcyM1L_TJn9AciIklk0NEbE/appointments

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/10943801/officers

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jason-bartlett-a1237943/?originalSubdomain=uk

Steven Bartlett is the Dragon who, since the Dragons Den program of 18th January 2024, is financing Giselle Boxer's Acu Seeds company. It looks like Jason is Steven's brother, they are both Directors of Steven Bartlett's own company.

There appear to be a web of cross interests, possibly conflicts of interest, vested interests.

MEMarge, Sean, tornandfrayed and 3 others like this.
  17. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Had a look on the Independent site but found nothing relevant under ‘Zoe Beauty’ for today. However I don’t have a subscription so I don’t know if that restricted my search.

18. Andy

Andy Committee Member

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I don't think that investors, or their representatives, becoming directors of a company that they have invested in is unusual. I would guess that this was prearranged to take place once the program was broadcast.

20. Lou B Lou

Giselle in the Independent

"I don’t know what caused my ME – I believe a combination of childhood trauma, chronic stress and a virus"

MEMarge and Peter Trewhitt like this.