1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Alcar (acteyl l carnitine). What do you think of it?

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Invisible Woman, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am looking at various things I might like to try and wondering about acetyl l carnitine.

Do you have any experience with it, bad as well as good? What dose? What symptoms it helped with?

Also I have read that those with an underactive thyroid should avoid it.

I would be very grateful for your thoughts.

Yessica, alktipping and andypants like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Invisible Woman

I had positive experiences with ALCAR and ALA R+ combination 6-7 years ago. The combination of the 2 supplements are synergistic . . . " Most notably, we found that when combined, LA and ALC worked at 100-1000-fold lower concentrations than they did individually".
    The big improvement was for cognitive/sharpness, it was very noticeable. I could not take it long term though because it gave me jitterness and insomnia. Short term was ok.

But, having said all that . . .

I would not take it if I had hypothyroid. It states here . . . "We are aware of no inhibitor of TH uptake that has such a markedly different effect on the nuclear versus whole-cell uptake. Our data are consistent with carnitine being a peripheral antagonist of TH action, and they indicate a site of inhibition at or before the nuclear envelope".

3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Mij :thumbup:.

It sounds like something I'd like to try, but it's probably best if I steer clear because of thyroid problems.

Back to the drawing board.