1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Alkaline urine, anyone else?

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by aehend, Jan 27, 2023.

1. aehend

aehend Established Member

Hi all, while taking my 3-mo postviral fatigue / ME/CFS teen daughter in for syncope to the urgent care yesterday, we got an already-ordered urine test done. All nominal except alkaline, flagged H, at 8.0. (Depending on which guideline set used, this is either upper verge of normal or a flag.)

Apparently a common cause of this is the kidney tubules failing to remove acid from the blood. This sounds familiar, having read some of the CFS findings around lactic acid in muscles etc. and failure of acid removal.

Anyone else have this finding, their doctors said anything etc? I've had zero caregiver watts to reach out to her pediatrician yet (Urgent Care yesterday, 504 meeting with her awesome, highly-supportive school today, and her in a crash), but will be asking him if he has further investigations in mind, including blood acidity check etc. Anyone have other suggestions or thoughts?

The only other flagged test result she's had, in fairly thorough basic testing, is high B12, dancing right around and over the top of normal. Taken together this of course has laywoman me worried about an endocrine tumor, but likely those would have other signs that haven't appeared. (I will also be confirming this with the doc.)

MeSci, Peter Trewhitt and Amw66 like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What you've been eating, how recently you've eaten, and whether or not you have a UTI can apparently shift the acid balance a little (or so my nurse told me!), so if you're worried it would be worth repeating the test another time.

As levels can fluctuate naturally, the doctor might not be too concerned by one slightly out of range measurement—unless the numbers get worse or there are other symptoms or findings, of course.

aehend, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.