Closed All eyes on PCS: analysis of the retinal microvasculature in patients with post-COVID syndrome—study protocol of 1 year prospective case–control study

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by SNT Gatchaman, Dec 3, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All eyes on PCS: analysis of the retinal microvasculature in patients with post-COVID syndrome—study protocol of a 1 year prospective case–control study
    Kuchler, Timon; Hausinger, Renate; Braunisch, Matthias C.; Günthner, Roman; Wicklein, Rebecca; Knier, Benjamin; Bleidißel, Nathalie; Maier, Matthias; Ribero, Andrea; Lech, Maciej; Adorjan, Kristina; Stubbe, Hans; Kotilar, Konstantin; Heemann, Uwe; Schmaderer, Christoph

Since widespread vaccination against COVID-19, the development of effective antiviral drugs, and the decreasing number of patients with COVID-19 in intensive care, the risk from SARS-CoV-2 infection appears less threatening. However, studies show that a significant number of patients suffer from long-term sequelae, even months after SARS-CoV-2 infection. The so-called post-COVID syndrome (PCS) often presents a diagnostic and treatment challenge for physicians.

This study protocol describes the “All Eyes on PCS” study, which aims to investigate the retinal microvasculature in PCS patients and COVID-19-recovered patients to provide new insights into the pathophysiology of PCS. “All Eyes on PCS” is a prospective, case–control study with the primary objective of detecting endothelial dysfunction (ED) in patients with PCS. Therefore, we intend to recruit patients with PCS, fully SARS-CoV-2-infection-recovered (CR) participants, and SARS-CoV-2-infection-naive (CN) participants. Baseline measurements will include: (1) patient-specific characteristics, (2) biochemistry, (3) retinal vessel analysis (RVA), (4) survey questionnaires as patient-reported outcomes measurements (PROMs), (5) optical coherence tomography (OCT), OCT angiography (OCTA), and adaptive optics (AO), (6) blood pressure recordings, (7) handgrip strength test.

After 6 months, baseline measurements will be repeated in the PCS cohort, and after 1 year, a telephone query will be conducted to assess residual symptoms and treatment needs. The aim of this study is to gain insight into the pathophysiology of PCS and to provide an objective biomarker for diagnosis and treatment, while also creating a comprehensive clinical database of PCS patients.

ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT05635552; Date: 2.12.2022.

Link | PDF (European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience)

DokaGirl, Lindberg, EndME and 2 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Agitation - really? Or just warranted concern that your whole life has been turned upside down and the medical profession and everyone you know keep wittering on about 'looking on the bright side', 'going for a walk' and 'sleep hygiene'?

Yeah, nah. ME/CFS does not equal fatigue.
    Ref 25 is from the Fluge and Mella team - not in the retina I think.
    Sørland K et al (2021) Reduced endothelial function in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome-results from open-label cyclophosphamide intervention study.

I'm pretty sure we have seen a study looking at retinal vessels in Long Covid just the other day - ah yes - here. There was a problem with that study just looking at top layers of the retina though. In this study they will be looking at the deep layer as well as the superficial layer.

The retinal vessel responsiveness is an interesting addition.

These people sound as though they may be committing to a substantial effort with the aim of understanding the disease. Which is fantastic.
    The list of secondary objectives is long.

Of course, cortisol is there ... such a red herring, in my view.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    alktipping, EndME, Trish and 2 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm not clear on whether at least the first part of the study this protocol is for has been completed and published. I think maybe it has.

alktipping and Trish like this.
  4. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2023
    alktipping, Hutan and Trish like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

The protocol says that recruitment will last until end of Q2 2023 so I doubt that this is still open.

Hutan and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hard to know: says "recruiting" but last updated a year ago. I've changed the prefix to closed in case it's more useful to track the overall landscape.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 7.44.07 AM Medium.jpeg

Hutan and Trish like this.