1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Alteration of Postural Balance in Patients with Fibromyalgia Syndrome-A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis, Nunez-Fuentes at al, 2021

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4418/11/1/127/htm

2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A what in the what now?

No discussion of orthostatic intolerance? The hardest part of science is asking the right questions. This ain't it.

I don't know who needs to hear this but continuing to do very low quality and scope poorly-observational research on large problems is entirely pointless. No one was ever going to orbit on leg power alone, no matter how smartly designed your super-bicycle is. At some point you have to increase the scale of efforts and that point was decades ago.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apparently, "somatosensory dependence" is a term for a shift away from primarily using visual information to maintain balance and towards using bodily positional information instead. It sounds like it might occur in vestibular dysfunction, because the eye muscles depend heavily on info from the vestibular apparatus in order to orient the eyes. Prolonged spinning in place, for instance, will disrupt the fluid in the inner ear and will cause your eyes to dart back and forth, briefly making them worse than useless for maintaining your balance.

I'm not really all that familiar with fibromyalgia, so I'm somewhat surprised to hear that balance problems are a fairly common component of it.

Mij and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I dunno. My balance is worse when I'm in a flare (more fatigue) of some sort.

5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's not the first thing that comes to mind as a symptom of fibro, indeed, it's not even in the top 10.

oldtimer and Peter Trewhitt like this.