1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone experience a numb feeling between toes on the sole side of feet?

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by AliceLily, Jan 11, 2019.

1. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just wondering if anyone else has or is experiencing this. I have only noticed this in the last year or so and it comes and goes, so it is not there all the time. I do notice it about 2-3 times a week though.

It's a strange feeling, it's like a patch of numbness around and just below the web between two toes on the sole side. I feel it mostly between the big toe and toe next to it. I will get this checked out when I visit the doctor next.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    JaimeS and andypants like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Rosie when does this occur? In the morning when you wake up, or all through the day? I experienced numbness in my hands for several months, sometimes it was one hand and then it started up in both. It disappeared on its own.

Good to get it checked out though.

3. AliceLily

I mainly notice it in the afternoon and evening while lying down @Mij Feels like a patch of numbness on the pad of sole between toes. It feels odd.

I've experienced a feeling of numbness in my hands as well. That one I think is due to ME though because when I was taking d ribose it would ease right up within a hour of taking the d ribose. I used to get pain and stiffness in the hands with it and these also would ease with the d ribose.

I stopped taking d ribose though, I felt it was speeding up more ill health for me in other areas of my body. Not certain, but decided to be cautious and stop taking it.

I should add the numbness on the foot feels different to the feeling of numbness in the hands, from memory.

andypants and Mij like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

When I get tingly neuropathic pain fingers and toes are a bit numb as well and that’s definitely worse at night

andypants and AliceLily like this.
  5. Helen

Helen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Could it be that you have Morton´s neuroma? You´ll find a lot about it if you google the name of the condition.

Mij, andypants and AliceLily like this.
  6. jpcv

jpcv Established Member (Voting Rights)

I do, exactly the way you describe it.
    It only appears when I´m having a crash. Weirdo

andypants and AliceLily like this.
  7. AliceLily

@Helen I thought it might be this too, but I don't get pain with it. I'll check again.

Helen likes this.
  8. AliceLily

It feels like a swollen numb patch, extra padding. I might take a picture of the area when I don't have it and then take another picture when I get it and see if it actually is swollen.

Thanks for the company in sharing this @jpcv and I'll let you know if I learn anything more about it.

9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had a numb feeling at the bottom of my big toe for quite a while, in my case it is some kind of circulation issue as the toe on my other foot recovered after becoming very swollen after I stepped on a nail a few years ago.

AliceLily likes this.
  10. AliceLily

My first thought was a lack of circulation also. I get it mostly on my left foot. Although, pretty sure I have felt it on the other foot as well. I need to pay more attention when I next experience it.

I know what the nail in the foot is like. I stood on one at work back in the late 90s. Probably didn't need a tetanus for it but had one anyway. Tetanus vac. is the only vaccination I am prepared to risk taking, no problems with it so far.

andypants likes this.
  11. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have morton's neuroma which feels like a pad of cotton wool under the middle toes. It only gets painful when I walk in unsupportive shoes. I now wear birkenstocks or hotter shoes and my GP recommended cross trainers but they are too heavy for me. When i am not very mobile, most of the time nowadays, there is no pain just numbness.

In the past year I have started getting numb white patches at the bottom of my big toes and others sometimes. The diabetes nurse checked them and said it is raynauds and not neuropathy. I think it is not actually raynauds but a vasculitis caused by ME.

Hope you get something to help.

12. AliceLily

@Mithriel It sounds exactly what I experience, although I haven't yet experienced the numb pads feeling sore while walking, probably because I am mainly resting afternoon and evenings when I get it.

I have also have had the white patches and wondered what they were. I haven't got any at the moment.

I don't know how old you are and no need to reply it, but I wonder if this is something more for 40-50 years and onwards who get this because I have had ME for well over 20 years and can't remember experiencing these on my feet until the last year or so. I'm pretty sure I get enthesis which makes walking painful especially after getting up after sitting or lying down, but it comes and goes and is different from this numbness and the white patches.

13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am torn between this explanation and neuropathy. It could be either, or both. Neuropathy does not have to be diabetic. The issues discussed in this thread are where I was maybe 20 years ago. Now my whole feet are like that, up to over my ankles. Numbness and sometimes pain, but I also used to get the burning feet sensation. Now the numbness usually covers up the burning.

AliceLily likes this.
  14. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What is being described is a temporary malfunction of a plantar branch of the first sacral nerve root. It is a very common symptom and nothing todo with ME as far as I know. It is probably nearly always due to some form of pressure around the joints at the base of the toes or further back in a tunnel. It sometimes gets called Morton's neuroma but ther.e is little evidence for true neuromas.

It is a pain (in the foot) but not something to worry about. It is not du.e to vasculitis.

TrixieStix and AliceLily like this.
  15. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Smoking restricts blood flow.

AliceLily likes this.
  16. AliceLily

Sorry this has worsened for you over the years @alex3619 I feel I may be prone to type 2 diabetes as my mother has it now and is injecting insulin and taking blood readings. I am going to start monitoring my bloods for a week every 3 months to get idea how I how I am processing blood sugar.

17. AliceLily

Thank you @Jonathan Edwards I hadn't thought until now that it could be the new trek sandals that I bought a few months ago. I've never worn this sort of sandal before and it is curved upward at the toe end, more than other shoes I have ever worn. They could be creating more pressure build up.

Trish likes this.
  18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My big toe circulation issues are not affected by temperature (not Raynauds specifically) and are not at all normal at my age (early 30s)! I've also never been a smoker.

My issues aren't between the 3rd and 4th toe, so may be a totally different problem.

AliceLily likes this.
  19. AliceLily

The only other thing I can think of in your case is that it might be a severed nerve or the nerve got damaged somehow causing a numbness. If so, you may get feeling back eventually.

When I was in my early 20s one of my bottom wisdom teeth had an abscess under it, the pain was out of this world going right up the side of my face. The whole dentist experience of getting that wisdom tooth out was a nightmare I wouldn't want repeated.

After many anaesthetic injections and a gas face mask which nearly made me faint lying down - I asked him to take it off. He was having a hard time getting the tooth out and suddenly I felt a sharp pain and ping and I realised he had severed a nerve. I had no more pain but I was numb on that side of my mouth and lip for a very long time. I think it was months and months. It could even have been a year because I remember thinking I might have permanent damage.

20. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Morton's neuroma is a disease of middle age and that is when I got it :) Supportive shoes have get it under control for about 14 years now.

I think we are liable to neuropathic pain in our feet as I have had burning pain since my 20s. The diabetes test is to poke the feet with a plastic needle and see if you can feel it. To me it often feels the way your lips do after a dental freeze, but as long as there is some sensation the diabetes nurses class it as OK. I suppose that means it will not lead to gangrene and such like even if it is not exactly normal.

There has been talk about vasculitic symptoms in ME for many years and it might fit in with Ron Davis's findings about blood cells. The white big toes are a recent thing for me, but my fingers have had problems for many years. My fingernails are spooned, though not extremely - like everything with ME! - and my fingertips go raw and sore with the skin peeling during a flare up. I get those little shards of bleeding under the nail and white spots with one finger having a nail that grows very badly.

Sorry about your experience Rosie, horrible.

AliceLily likes this.