1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have trouble writing by hand?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Kitty, Feb 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I missed all the lessons on how to do joined up hand writing. I think it might have been down to measles. I used to be able to manage OK if I wrote very small, not sure why! But the teachers wouldn't allow that. Grrr.

Nowadays every Christmas I have to write out 6 cheques for family. It takes me 3 days. OH does all the cards, and I just try and sign them, though that's quite difficult too.

Wonko, Kitty, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  2. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, since first learning to write as a child. Missing letters, omitted words, pen strokes in the wrong direction, etc. Difficulty gripping a pencil/pen, painful writing cramps.

It's not such a problem these days with keyboards and touchscreens. Still, words get omitted and letters reversed.

I've found a tactile keyboard (such as Das Keyboard) much easier to use, with fewer typing mistakes and less fatigue. Though with how I smash the keys, a tactile keyboard can be a bit loud.

3. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had to spread out signing my name on my postal voting form over three days to avoid over doing it. I was using a ball point pen, I haven't used a fountain pen since I was 12.

4. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So true! I love Rhodia and Stálogy paper :) My favourite fountain pen for everyday use is Pilot Metropolitan. I use a converter, which makes the pen very easy to refill with bottled ink.

5. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I used to have a good signature before ME. Every letter was written and someone I worked with even admired it when they saw my timesheet and how I signed each day.

Then I got early ME, at the time I didn't know it was ME and suddenly I could no longer write my full signature. I still today (24 years later) write a short version of it. I just can't keep the flow going to do the full signature and it also feels like the brain can't follow through - not sure if there is involvement in that way but it is very strange.

MeSci, ladycatlover, Wonko and 3 others like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure of when it was, maybe when a parent died, but my siblings and I all had to sign paperwork. This was shortly before I was diagnosed and they really took the proverbial -

" What the hell is that? "
    "My name!"
    " In klingon? "

Cheek!

Yessica, MeSci, AliceLily and 5 others like this.