1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd November 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone with SVT (supraventricular tachycardia)? Have you used Kardia Mobile?

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and Respiratory' started by ahimsa, Nov 9, 2018.

1. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I meant to reply to this.

One reason I bought the Kardia device is because it was cheaper ($99) than an Apple Watch. And it is easy to use. It does not give continuous monitoring like an Apple Watch but I didn't need that since my episodes last much longer.

If my SVT episodes were less than a minute, then by the time I gathered up the Kardia device, and my iPad, and sat down, the SVT episode would have stopped. So there's an advantage to continuous recording.

Anyway, regarding the data you have captured, is the Apple Watch able to distinguish between atrial fibrillation (which is a more serious problem), and SVT, and all the other types of arrhythmia?

My Kardia device has sometimes been confused when it tries to analyze an ECG even when I could tell it was yet another SVT episode.

I know very little about types of heart arrhythmia. I just wanted to mention that it might be worth showing the data from your watch to a doctor.

In short, I wonder whether it is wise to assume this is SVT? I know my issue is SVT based on age of onset, all the years of describing it to doctors, etc., etc. And then finally confirmed with the ECGs I captured.

Not trying to worry you, just trying to be cautious/helpful.:)

Kitty, Simbindi, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  2. Daisybell

Daisybell Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the info @ahimsa - I really have no idea what kind of arrhythmia it is! I just get mostly very short episodes where my heart rate suddenly doubles.. never caught on an ECG and never actually captured by anyone medical!
    At least I now have evidence that something happens.... and if the doctor is interested then I can show her!

Kitty, Simbindi, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  3. ahimsa

Simbindi and Kitty like this.
  4. yME

yME Established Member (Voting Rights)

My wife has svt and me. While controlled most of the time by a mix of tablets she finds laying down brings on Her attacks reaching 235 bpm for two hours just after Christmas. She also has inverted t wave.

All very worrying to watch, with her refusal to seek medical help due to Covid. Laying on her left side and breathing out slowly or ice cube under the tongue is the only medical advice we have received.

Does ablation improve quality of life or just stop the SVT episodes and need for tablets?

5. ahimsa

I'm so sorry your wife is having this problem! It sounds terrible.

I want to emphasize that our forum does not allow sharing any medical advice! Especially with something this serious a doctor needs to be consulted directly.

Is there some way for your wife to talk with a doctor over the phone, or via a video call, to get advice on what to do next? This seems too serious to rely on advice from online searching or patient forums.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't know know much about different types of arrhythmias. I do know that there are different types of SVT (mine has been identified as the more common AV Nodal Re-entry Tachycardia). And even with the same type of SVT patients can have different symptoms. I never feel faint, or get pain, or feel nauseated. I have read that other patients do.

More importantly, very fast heart rates can also come from different types of arrhythmia that are more dangerous than SVT, such as atrial fibrillation.

I hope you can get help from a cardiologist about what options are available. I don't know any details about cardiac ablation but a cardiologist should be able to discuss that option.

Best of luck to you and your wife!

EDIT: There are lots of websites with basic info about SVT - different types, treatments with medication vs. catheter ablation, etc. Here's one site:

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/atrial-fibrillation/what-is-supraventricular-tachycardia

This is NOT a replacement for advice from a doctor but it may help to further refine the questions you might ask the doctor. I hope it helps.

Trish likes this.