1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Applications open for Australian government’s $3m ME/CFS grant

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Simone, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Australian government is calling for applications for its $3m Targeted Call for Research (TCR) into ME/CFS. TCR’s function similarly to NIH’s Request for Applications (RFA) in that they guarantee the funds go to the focus of the TCR and are designed to stimulate research in that area.

Getting a TCR funded has been a goal of ME/CFS advocacy in Australia for a number of years, with many groups and advocates meeting with politicians to lobby for it. The National Health & Medical Research Council’s ME/CFS Advisory Committee, which released its report a few months ago, was initiated following a proposal for a TCR submitted to NHMRC in 2016 by ME/CFS South Australia. And the Advisory Committee’s report itself also recommended a TCR. Getting this finally funded certainly feels like a community achievement worth celebrating!

The government has so far been following the ME/CFS Advisory Committee’s recommendations, and hopefully it will continue to do so by keeping the focus of the grant on biomedical rather than psychosocial research. I have some concerns that there is enough room left for psychosocial researchers to wiggle through.

Applications will be open from 23 Oct 2019 to 29 January 2020.

https://www.health.gov.au/ministers...open-for-research-on-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    ahimsa, Ruth, Sly Saint and 15 others like this.
  2. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well done advocates. I’ve just done the conversions, $3m Australian dollars is £1.6m and around $2m US dollars. Not bad size sum for a country with a population of 25.5m. To correspond according to population size UK would need to put in £4.1 m and US $25.6m. If my figures are right !

MyalgicE, Hutan, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  3. Simone

It’s also worth comparing this with government funding for ME/CFS research in the past which, for more than the past decade, has been around $100,000 per year, almost none of which has gone to biomedical research. This will be $3m over 3 years. Not as much as we’d like, of course, but a huge increase on what we’ve had.

Ruth, Snow Leopard, Chezboo and 11 others like this.
  4. MyalgicE

MyalgicE Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2019
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Good this is being highlighted at this stage hopefully it will have a useful effect.

rvallee, Hutan, Trish and 2 others like this.
  6. Simone

The grant guidelines were released today. Based on the recommendations of NHMRC’s ME/CFS Advisory Committee, “the ME/CFS TCR will support research that is collaborative with a focus on addressing the current knowledge gaps in ME/CFS.”

The intended aims of the ME/CFS TCR are to:

The objectives of the ME/CFS TCR are to:
    In keeping with the recommendations of the NHMRC’s ME/CFS Advisory Committee’s report, the grant guidelines also suggest that applicants adopt the Canadian Consensus Criteria (CCC) or the International Consensus Criteria (ICC) or the Paediatric Primer criteria, as well as the NIH’s Common Data Elements for participant selection.

The full grant guidelines can be downloaded from here:
    http://bit.ly/TCRGuidelines

Ruth, AndyPandy, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Senator Steele-John is a hero. Glad he is taking this on.

Sunshine3, AndyPandy and Simone like this.
  8. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread
    Current Grant Opportunity View - GO3105
    NHMRC Targeted Call for Research (TCR) into Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
    Grant Activity Timeframe:
    Late 2020

Total Amount Available (AUD):
    $3,000,000.00
    Instructions for Application Submission:
    Applications must be submitted electronically using NHMRC’s online Research Grants Management System (RGMS) unless otherwise advised by NHMRC.

Other Instructions:
    Minimum data closes Wednesday 15 January 2020, 5pm (AEDT)

https://www.grants.gov.au/?event=public.GO.show&GOUUID=657893D0-D89E-250C-7B7A61ED84C05CA7

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2019
    Sean and rvallee like this.
  9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That seems short. Though I would expect many proposals are already more or less complete but either previously rejected or not submitted yet.

We'll only find out about those that get funded, uh? Curious to see what proposals come in vs. what gets funded.